Carbon bits..

• Thread starter gotoinstant-redline
  • Start date
G

gotoinstant-redline

hey all,

faaaar too many pages on the last thread so i've started a new one.

the latest is that my referbed workshop is almost ready for me to mess it up with epoxy the like..

i have just finished the moulds for the vents. they are a copy of the standard vents and will bolt stright onto a standard bonnet or one of my (not yet done) carbon bonnets..

i expect to have the first fully finished set of vents ready next weekend (13/14th) just in time for christmas :)

the first set are gonna go on my car. but i'll make up as many as the rest of you want after that. if i'm honest it wont be till after new year before any of you lot will get the vents. mainly cos i'm a lazy git, but also it costs a fortune to have stuff delivered over xmas/new year.

the very second that the vents come out of the mould i'll do photos and put them up here. even if i have to use my phone as a cam cos i've lost the charger to my digi cam..
(anyone got a charger for a sony dsc p7 going cheap?)

the cost is going to be about £120 to £150 for the set of 3 vents. i'll know exactly how much it costs when i finish the carbon ones for myself.

as of yet i have no idea how much the postage will be but i cant see it being too much.. and i can allways drive about to meet people to hand deliver them.

the wait is almost over!

thank you for your continued support and patience folks...

L.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
So how's the bonnet coming along? Will it have a showroom finish or is that impossible as one place seems to find. :shock:

S

SunnyGTi2.0

Speaking of carbon bits; Are you the one making carbon plug covers as well, or is that someone else? They look awesome.

G

gotoinstant-redline

i wouldnt sell it if it wasnt showroom! it'll be my name on them bits!

plug covers??na that wasnt me. i havent had time to start more things recently, but while i'm doing a turbo heat shield, i'll do some more tests and see if i can make the plug covers too.

its all to do with direct heat onto the resins..

eta on vents, still looking good for 14th.
eta for bonnet, somewhere in the middle of jan.

L.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Just out of curisity, put up the weight for a standard and carbon vent when you get a chance too. :wink:

H980 Pulsarkid

Thats great news - thats a superb step forward for the R's !!

Look proper bo as well - nice one !
I will definately be interested in buying a set - keep us posted !

:)

S

Sirnixalot

so umm yeah i know its the holidays and all but just wondering whats passed through your stringent quality control process :)

G

gotoinstant-redline

well to date nothing! my main problem is heating my workshop.
i've just had it refitted and its a whole lot warmer than it used to be.. but i still cant get it to stay over 18dec C..

so when i took my lovely vents out of the mould i found that parts of them hadnt set properly and they were a bit too tatty to put on my car!

next week i'm gonna go shopping for a large space heater and some nice oil radiators.. if that doesnt do the trick then me and a m8 are looking at a new workshop out near guildford. these are bigger, better and most importantly warmer!

over christmas i was going to do some work on the bonnet and re-try the vents. but i'd be wasting my time if i didnt improve my workshop's heating first.

however, i do have a plan to heat the vents to the correct temp.. but it is a bit harder for the bonnet as its a lot bigger!

the next big push on stuff is in about 3 weeks. just after i get banned form driving. then i have around a month off work to dedicate my time and effort to this. with a bit of luck and some workshop prep in the next week or 2. i could be able to quit my shit job and work for myself banging out bonnets left right and center.

soz for yet more delays folks.. but the wait will be worth it! the vents were nearly perfect.. and with a bit extra heat they'll be sorted. then the bonnet will follow in no time :)

L.

S

Sirnixalot

not a problem....18*c is still fooking freezing....get that up to around 29* and ill feel right at home :lol:

J

Jon T

Talking of heating, has anyone seen those indoor water/oil radiators which have a fan on the back blowing air around the place?

I was thinking of a car radiator but it's probably not reliable enough for constant heat and use..

I need one for mine+fathers workshop!

G

gotoinstant-redline

gas space heaters are the best for heating a garage/workshop.. but i cant use them most of the liquids used in the carbon and fibreglass are flamable and i dont want gas flames burning down my workshop..
B&Q do loads of them. go and have a look.

i've had to go for the oil filled rad idea.. they take their time but once they get going there is no stopping them :)

i'm defo not doing any work on the workshop today.. i have to get the house ready for the party tonight :) happy new year all!!!

L.

G

gotoinstant-redline

ok today is the first day of 04 that i'm gonna do anything useful to the carbon stuff.
its a bit warmer outside so that helps, the heaters are on in the workshop and i sould be on my way in a an hour or so..

i'll let ya know how it all goes.

L.

A

Anonymous

Could you not knock up a small well insulated section of the workshop where you can stick the bits to cure? Almost like a makeshift kiln type thing?

G

gotoinstant-redline

fear not. the workshop is basicly finished.. so its time to start making more stuff. the whole month of feb is going to be devoted to making carbon bits.
while i havent got a drivers licence (as of tuesday) i might as well stay in the workshop and build cool stuff.. so i will :)

thanks for your patience.

L.