Can shorting an alternator cause it to be noisey?

jameswrx2

Was working on my car today and managed to half pull out the wiring plug to the alternator (I didn't know this yet) It was still in the socket, but not connected.

I went for a drive and noticed my lights getting dim.. hmm not charging, must have accidentally unplugged the alternator I thought..

Limped home, headlights on would cause the car to missfire etc.

Got home and a real nasty noise started coming from the alternator area, like a sort of fast rattling/grinding noise. It was at this point I noticed the plug to the alternator was half in. It got me wondering if it'd been shorting/arcing as it wasn't in properly.

Now I plugged it back in and started the car but there's still a really loud rattling noise. I'm almost certain it's the alternator as I pushed it with a prybar and it sort of changed the pitch.

Question is, can the alternator shorting out destroy anything inside to make a loud death rattle?

The alternator was perfect before today when managed to half unplug it. I'd recently stripped it and put 2 new bearings in and the brushes were really good in it. Previous to today it was quiet and sweet.

I know the only way to really tell is to take the alternator belt off and run the car but I need some reasurance before I have to sleep on it!

I've been working on the car all day and had no energy to do anymore to it.

Keira

jameswrx2 said:
I need some reasurance before I have to sleep on it!
so what you're saying is you want a hug :lol:

before you take anything off, check the bolt that the alternator pivots on isn't loose, that can cause odd noises/rattles from the alternator region.

jameswrx2

Bolts are deffinately tight, I actually have my own threaded bar (instead of the std bolt) with shake proof washers and lock nouts on each end (I've had the rattley bolt before!)

O

Odin

And I'll give you one of those special uncle hugs that only I can give ;-) :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

M

mynheers_a_pint

my alternator sounded like grinding metal right before it completly seazed and took the crank wheel out in a big cloud of noxious smoke. I know it's a ball ache but maybe it's worth taking it off and seeing how freely the wheel spins, or atleast slankening it off?

Maybe?

jameswrx2

OK, took the aux belt off and spun the alternator.. fook, grinding like hell. Took the alternator off and the pulley was loose causing the internals of the alternator to have enough play to grind the cooling fins on the plastic brush mounting area.

I'd previously rebuilt the alternator with new bearings and struggled to get enough torque on the bolt that holds the pulley on. I'd partially squashed a bit of the thread and it was hard to get done up right.

Stripped it all down and checked, all ok inside. It had just been rubbing on the plastic as I said above.

Rebuilt it and managed to get the shaft of a screwdriver inbetween the solid diode(I think thats what they are called?) part and torque'd it right up.

All back together now.

Thanks for the input everyone.