camsshaft uprade

stifler1603

what are the advantages of installing aftermarket camshafts and which camshafts are the best for huge power / speed gain and would i need to change the springs and lifters. and what about adjustable cam gears?

pulsarmoley

Im not an expert but as far as im aware it depends on a) what horsepower are you looking to achieve? b) what turbo etc you are running? c) how much you willing to spend? Im running 264's on a standard head with a GT2560 turbo for mid-range power; circa 320bhp? I think if installing bigger cams you will need head work etc, not sure about springs and lifters, think they are good for nearly 400bhp? Hopefully someone else with more experience will reply and correct me if im wrong :)

red reading

standard cams have been proven upto 470bhp with a gt3071r (which is nearley the max of the turbo at 480bhp),264 hks or similar is about the most you need on a car with the standard rev limit of 7500rpm.

P

pulsarboby

as the red herring said!
by fitting larger cams youll end up with a car where its making full power beyond the safe rev limit of the engine

red reading

2560 is slightly smaller than stock so it will spool up earlier and run out of puff at the top sooner, would make for a very snappy road car though

pulsarmoley

Whats this turbo like compared to the standard one?
At the moment it feels similar to standard but i havent fitted my det sensor since replacing turbo....doh! And not got round to finishing off my custom turbo elbow yet; two things at the top of a very long list i have planned for the car this year if i have any money left after 3 weddings etc :(