Camshaft Installation

PulsarLee

Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice on the installation of camshafts. The on-line manual states to reinstall the cams with the left cam at approx 10 oclock and the right at approx 12 oclock, )i may have said this the wrong way round), but anyway, when i install the cams and tighten in sequence, the caps seem to move slightly and end up at more like five to 12 and 10 fifteen. With the manual saying install at approximately these positions, is this notmal and should correct itself when the chain with the sprocket marks is re connected?

Cheers guys,

Lee

bob the builder

yes mate it is ok. the cams will sit in the rest position then you just move them with a spanner to to fit sprockets in required positions.

splmum

Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice on the installation of camshafts. The on-line manual states to reinstall the cams with the left cam at approx 10 oclock and the right at approx 12 oclock, )i may have said this the wrong way round), but anyway, when i install the cams and tighten in sequence, the caps seem to move slightly and end up at more like five to 12 and 10 fifteen. With the manual saying install at approximately these positions, is this notmal and should correct itself when the chain with the sprocket marks is re connected?

Cheers guys,

Lee
As 'bob the builder' said, once the cams are in and the sprockets are attached use a spanner to turn the cams to the 10 (inlet) 12 (exhaust) positions to align the chain.
The 10 o'clock and 12 o'clock are the correct position that the cams need to be in when attaching the chain.
You will notice also that there is a small round marks close to the teeth, these are the aligning points for the chain onto the sprockets.

Last edited:

PulsarLee

Thanks guys,
when i removed the head etc i tied the chain up and marked it to align with the indentations on the sprockets when at TDC. Now i have put the cams back in and sprockets, when I put the chain back on the sprockets, it looks like it is slightly out by 1 link eitherway on both cams?? will this be a problem. the chain has been in place on the crank pulley all the time.

PulsarLee

thanks Bob,
so now that the cams are all bolted down in position with the sprokets on, do I need to adjust the cams with a spanner until the dimples on the sprockets match exactly with the paint marks i put on the chain before i removed the cams, then fit the chain over the sprockets?

thanks

Lee

splmum

I would think 'yes'. Remember, the 10 12 is approximate not exact, so if you turn the cams to line up with your marked links then you timing should be exactly the same now as it was before removal.