cams lifts and springs

sypher

what cams would u recomend for a daily driver and weekend TOY. In process of re build now and getting prices of the parts i want but unsure of cams. is there any mods needed to springs or lifters,,,,, help would be appreciated.

S

Sirnixalot

You will need to change out the valve springs with anything over 10mm lift if memory serves me.

I would have to say either Tomei 260* 11mm lift or HKS 264* 11.5mm lift cams and the appropriate valve springs.

You will have to check the shim clearace on all the rocker arms.

A

Anonymous

sypher said:
why change the springs??????????
because a sage said so and everybody except me believes the sages :lol:

apparently,the std springs allow a bit of bounce with high lift.
i`ve got 12mm lift and std springs but,dirtyunderpants has managed to persuade me to buy a rocker stopper thingy :shock: :shock: :shock:

i might even go for titanium this that and the other just to be the same as everybody else :twisted: nah!

S

Sirnixalot

because at high rpms with high lift cams the springs bind because they cant keep up. This causes the valves to "float" meaning they will stay open longer than the cam profile motivates them to. This will cause the valves to hit the pistons.

Stiffer valve springs will keep the rocker arm in contact with the came lobes at all times, this means that the valves will keep to the profile as well as intact.

Titanium retainers will do jack all for spring bind.

Nad

oap-r said:
Well I listened to Tomei and what they said seemed fair enough, even to the point where they told me to go get someone else's product instead of their own.

Nad

Nad

oap-r said:
Well I listened to Tomei and what they said seemed fair enough, even to the point where they told me to go get someone else's product instead of their own. Gone are the days of companies that are as honest as Tomei.

Nad

Jobi Joba

Sirnixalot said:
HKS 264* 11.5mm lift cams and the appropriate valve springs.
They are not 11.5mm lift...you can trust me,I've sent tons of emails and 11.5mm lift camshafts are no more available for the R.