camber

mattygti-r

bit irate :( as my when doing the oil change noticed the car has nicely scrubbed all 4 of my Toyo proxies ...AGGGHAHAHHGHAH

tracking is spot on but the camber is out...anyone know where i can go to get this done??? im in essex (near southend)

:D

P

pschurr

interesting Matty, that you can visually determine that tracking is ok and camber is out, but don't know where to take it to get a simple wheel alignment.

What does out mean anyway. Too much neg or pos camber? I have 2.25degs of neg-camber and when I had it dialed in, it changed the cornering like you wouldn't believe. Magnificent. And yes, you can see there's neg camber there, but I couldn't pick it as 2 or 3 degrees.

My street tyres are wearing on the inside a little faster now, but its on the track where it really matters.

Can't help with the actual question, but I gotta think there are plenty of wheel alignment places all over the UK, as there are here.

peter

andygtir

make sure you go to a place that does 4 wheel alignment and not just the fronts. you cant adjust the standard R's camber- is your suspension uprated?

you can try abbey motorsport, (only an hour or so away from you) they did mine- was quite expensive but, boy did it handle sooooo much better after a bit of tweeking.

this is for a standard R, shamelessly stolen from the yahoo tech faq :wink:

Where d = degrees

Front
-----
Toe-in (mm) 2 +/- 1
Camber (degrees) -0 d 05' +/- 45'
Caster (degrees) 1 d 15' +/- 45'
Kingpin inclination (degrees) 13 d 15' +/- 45'

Rear
----
Toe-in (mm) 1 +/- 2
Camber (degrees) -0 d 10' +/- 45'

From a Wheel Alignment Machine Handbook in Sweden
---------------------------------------------------

For a 1991 - 1993 Sunny / Pulsar GTI-R N14

Where d = degrees

Front
----- Min Max
Left Toe 0 d 03' 0 d 09'
Right Toe 0 d 03' 0 d 09'
Total Toe 0 d 06' 0 d 18'
Set Back ******* ******

Left Camber -0 d 39' 0 d 50'
Right Camber -0 d 39' 0 d 50'
Camber Diff. ******* 0 d 30'

Left Caster 0 d 30' 2 d 00'
Right Caster 0 d 30' 2 d 00'
Caster Diff. ******* 0 d 30'

Rear
----
Min Max
Left Toe -0 d 03' 0 d 08'
Right Toe -0 d 03' 0 d 08'
Total Toe -0 d 06' 0 d 16'
Thrust Line ******* *******

Left Camber -0 d 55' 0 d 34'
Right Camber -0 d 55' 0 d 34'

Also see http://www.yahoogroups.com/files/gti-r/ALIGNM1.jpg as tested on a Sun 4-wheel alignment machine .

hope that helps.

GTIR-LOZ

mine scrub on the insides, i got it geometried and it was spot on according to the whiteline specs, for their handling kit but it still scrubs them, only front insides, so rotation is the key, also if you have standard shocks etc then you will not be able to adjust the camber withour some adjusting bolts that you can get from powerstation etc, but they are quite expensive.......i have a set ive never used lurking around somewhere 8)

mattygti-r

cheers guys...

basically ive Toyos on the car....which are perfect on the outside but are really scrubbed on the inside of all 4 wheels when i got the car 6months ago all tyres were ok (yeah i kow they wear over time lol) and it already had a wheel alignment done to the car.

i thought maybe the tracking was out so took it to get checked, and was spot on. I get teh tracking done on a regualr basis.

as far as im aware it has not been lowered and is on standard suspesion. i just didnt wnat to replace all hte toyos for £300 and find that they are scrubbed in 6months time...and wasnt too sure if i needed somewhere which was able to do 4wd allinement.

needed to check ty for ur help. its appreciated.

so is this usual for the R? as ive not owned one b4 (and R or a 4WD car) im not sure...many thanks guys.. its going in for a MOT this month so thats why i was asking.

many thanks

andygtir

if its had a proper 4 wheel lazer alignment (the rears are adjustable too on the R) and its still scrubbing out all 4 tyres they may got the geometry settings wrong- possible if it was done at the local kwik fit - i did ask once and they didnt have the data for the R. best get it checked by a tuner who knows the R well. like abbey... :wink:

mattygti-r

cheers guys ive the read out for the allignement and it was spot on the guy did take it on the track could have somin to do with it..

im just annoyed ive scrubbed £300 quid worth of toyo proxies :oops:

how much do abbey charge? thast guna be a bit of a wedge aint it :(

O

Odin

Powerstation are the best people to set an R up they really
know there stuff with are car :wink: