Cam timing & static timing

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Is it possible that my cam timing can be out (exhaust cam possibly one tooth out) but the Power FC show the correct 20 degrees advanced for my static base timing.

The problem is when I built my engine up somehow I managed to get my exhaust cam sprocket (standard sprockets) one tooth out on the chain.
This only came to light once I had the rebuilt engine installed in the car and I was about to set the static timing with a strobe. I couldn't get the base idle speed to drop low enough (needs to be around 800 rpm) to set the static timing, I put that down to the fact that the cams were slightly out of sync. The timing looked to be way to far advanced (but it was hard to tell as the rev's were around the 1500 mark) as it was, so I compensated for this as much as I could by turning the dizzy anti-clockwise. This got the rev's down to about 1100 and the engine "sounded right" and seemed to run OK so I left it at that.
I was only running it in on very little boost, so I would just take it easy and get it run in, then when the miles were on it, the plan was to get it sorted, Power FC Pro, bigger injectors, Greddy Profec B B/C, Z32 MAF and then mapped and at the same time the cam timing could be checked and the static timing sorted.
Once the miles were done I had the above bits fitted and asked them, could they check the cam timing as well. All this was done. When I collected the car I asked if the cam timing was out, I was told yes it was and thats now been corrected. The car was mapped and it would need tweaking later on it still returned some very good figures :D.

There were a few little problems that I need to sort out with the actuator before taking the car back to tweak the map and boost control.

Later on I noticed that the distributor was still in (or very close to it) the very anti-clockwise position I placed it in originally, which begs the question if the cam timing was corrected was it moved enough.

This is why I ask the question above, is it possible that the cams could be out but the correct (20 degrees) timing show up in the Power FC.

If the cam timing is out what characteristics would the engine show. Depending on the settings would I get very good power low down and not so good higher in the rev's or visa versa, or would it just not run well at all.

Any input or thoughts would be much appreciated.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I have now been enlightened to the answer to my question. Thanks Ian.

And just to let you all know, cam timing and static timing are 2 different things. Cam Timing can be out whilst static timing is correct and showing 20 degrees.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Not 100% sure, it needs to be checked again.

I have explored all other avenues.

Although the cam timing was intially checked and thought to be correct, the distributer is still in a very odd position and I just have one of those niggley feelings in the back of my head.

A

AJ4

I would have thought being out a tooth would make a massive difference ? Can't remember how many teeth the pulley has but it must be at least 15 degree or something per tooth ?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
stevepudney said:

And just to let you all know, cam timing and static timing are 2 different things. Cam Timing can be out whilst static timing is correct and showing 20 degrees.
Are you talking about igniton timing when you say static timing?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Yeah, sorry, I shall rephase that last coment.

obviously cam timing and ignition timing are 2 completely different things but I suppose I hadn't really thought about it but I didn't realise one can be out whilst the other is correct.

Thats better

:oops: