burning oil!

gtir bean

ive had my r on the road for about 2 weeks now and its realy starting to burn oil.im sure its the turbo seals because it leaks oil from the turbo housing and it drips onto the down pipe,also when driving in town when i lift off a lot of the time there is an embarasing cloud of smoke.there is some smoke when i accelerate hard but its not too bad.if i drive off boost it seems fine.could putting the wrong oil in the car make the turbo go like this?im not sure what the previous owner put in it before he sold it.there is no smoke on start up or if you blip the throttle.any help would be great.

geetee

Sounds to me like you have a couple of problems.

Oil dripping from the turbo probably means a fractured oil feed pipe.

Smoke on the overun (when you lift off) is oil getting by the oil seals in the turbo and being burnt in the exhaust.

It could just be that the oil seals are worn out but more likely the turbo is worn so there is play in the turbo bearings which in turn screws the seals as the shaft moves about.

Either way, to find out is going to cost you.

To get the turbo out for inspection and replace all the gaskets is going to set you back about £80 - once you budget for the exhaust manifold and all turbo gaskets and new washers for the pipes.

If you do have a fractured oil feed pipe you're best of looking in Buying and Selling and getting Mike's (ex-gtir) braided pipes. A whole bunch easier to fit than the standard pipes and cheaper too.

And that's just the start. You then need to get the turbo sorted. It MAY just be seals. But you're probably better off geting a fully recond turbo - or even more preferable a 360 degree thrust bearing recond turbo - or even better - if you are going to be upping the boost get a hybrind turbo with roller bearings.

Of course that's assuming you are doing the work dismantle work yourslef - otherwise add a couple of days work for a garage at £40 - £60 per hour :shock:

Good luck.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

B

Brett G

Like geetee says, a couple of problems and i can vouch for the oil feed line problem as this has just happened to mine!! :shock:
Also the oil you're using may be too thin or in need of a change.
Do a search on what oil to use but I think you'll find alot of people use Millers CFS 10W60 or there is another but I've forgotten what it is?? :oops:

gtir bean

the turbo still has a years warranty on it but im not sure i it will still be valid.i checked all the lines and they seem fine,it seems to come from the back of the impeller housing.everything seems to be fine with the car other than this.oh well.

geetee

It's quite hard to see where the oil feed pipe joins the turbo with it in situ.

You're only gonna be able to tell for sure where it's coming from by dropping the tubby off unfortunately.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

B

Brett G

Not if its pi55ing out like my one was :shock: :x :lol: :lol:

geetee

errmmm... yeh but you still need to drop it off to fix it - even if you can see it :)

In light of recent threads.....

I hereby attest that wasn't a bitchy comment or intended as a one-up post.