Bumpsteer Question

skiddusmarkus

I have the Powerstation kit fitted and one of the rosejoints failed on the MOT so after having 3 sets of bearings sent out I finally have the right ones being 1/2"x1/2" UNF(I hope-not the fault of the supplier btw).Now the PS bearings sat directly on the hub and the Gordon Kaye ones I have seen seem raised above it.My question is, if I use the 10mm tophat spacers that came with the bearings to lift it above the hub allowing it to move freely rather than being restricted by the hub, will it drasticly alter the bumpsteer?Does the height of the bearing in relation to the hub contribute directly to all the benefits of fitting a bumpsteer kit?

The height of the bearing above the hub is the sole reason for a bumpsteer kit, but tbh I don't think any of the kits were designed or tested overly well and so are more uprated bearing kits rather than bumpsteer kits.

And so for that reason I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The kit I had gave the same geometry as standard which was disappointing as I was hoping for a dramatic improvement.

skiddusmarkus

When I had mine done it made an absolutely massive difference to understeer, it was like night and day.How far from the hub was your bearing located?

Fastguy posted this picture on another thread:

This looks to be lifting the bearing 10-15mm above the hub, whereas mine is flush to it and could account for the "standard" feeling you describe.

Last edited:

olliecast

I turned the tophat spacers down to approx 6mm so the bearings cleared the hub. I had the same issue in terms of the bearing fouling the hub.