brake pad selection?

davey red.r

anyone running or has previously run mintex 1144s in front,
and pagid blues in rears?
if so what was the low temp braking performance like?

thanks.

davey

GTIR-LOZ

as i said on the other thread i run the mintex in my monster 6 setup and they are great from cold and perform really well on hard stops, they are prob not too good on track though

youngsyp

If you're gonna use the Mintex M1144's in the front, it might be best to use them in the rears too.
That'll help keep the brake balance the way it should be. ;-)

I use Mintex M1144's in mine and they work great. I did a sprint day recently and they were excellent. No fade and able to lock the wheels at high speed if I wasn't careful.
I use them with the stock calipers and 308mm discs on the front.

Paul

Digging up an old thread as i need a quick opinion of what brake pads to run.
Current setup are Skyline R32 GTS "Nissan Sumitomo" 4 pot calipers with Endless CCR pads (50-800deg).
Rear running stock brakes with some sort of road mintex pads.

I'm short of choice of pads back here in Malaysia.

Was initially considering rear Endless CCR pads but i would need to order in and would take too long.

Hence i've a choice of either Mintex M1144 (asking everyone's opinion as this would be a familiar pad for you pommies :p - hope it doesnt come across as another rhetoric question ) or Hawk CPS pads or some OEM Bendix Metal King Titanium.

The car is predominantly used for touge/ hill climbs and the odd track days.

Not too worried about noise. But i do like a pad that doesnt vaporise when it cannot cope with the heat. Just find it a bit hard to justify the price of the M1144 as they are pretty expensive over here for what seems like a pad rated for 400deg.

I was hoping rear pads with higher friction mu would help regain back some of the brake balance due to the front upgrade brake.

Have anyone toyed around of swapping the brake porportioning valve from a NON ABS GTi-R to a ABS equipped GTi-R before? Reason being i heard the non ABS versions has more rear bias vs the ABS cars.

Jon Olds

I put 4 pot calipers on the back of my car to try and get more rear braking to match the uprated fronts. tarmac rallying. Works well
Jon

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
This is what I used to run.

Braided brake lines all round.
Super blue ATE brake fluid
Black Diamond grooved rear discs
Mintex 1155 rear pads.

I've currently moved to Carbotech xp8 pads all round, however I've not tried then on track as of yet.

I found the set up (1155) was pretty reliable and could take some serious heat on track.

This was with the car running about 300-300bhp over 10 consecutive laps.

Make sure your brake fluids is top quality and regulary changed.

If you really struggle maybe something better pad wise, but is also look at cooling as its often overlooked!

red reading

Carbotech xp10 on both my cars....they work very well on track and well on the road as well, one car has 310mm fronts with brembo calipers and oversize 285mm discs on the rear with standard calipers....it is driven very hard , the other runs ap calipers on 290mm all round and a brake bias adjustable valve, good even brakes front and rear work well and make the car more stettled under braking.

I put 4 pot calipers on the back of my car to try and get more rear braking to match the uprated fronts. tarmac rallying. Works well
Jon
Any links to your rear caliper mod? Did u loose the handbrake?

I noticed after browsing the forums, quite a few guys running oversized rear brake discs. How did you guys carry out the mod. Quite tempted to give it a try.

johnny gtir

Two kits are godspeed ( not sure if still availible) and hi spec do one or two options basically brackets on standard calipers but bigger disc so braking over a bigger area less heat etc. these and uprated pads is more than enough for most cars. After that would be machine your own brackets

personally if i was to fit 4 pots its alot for a road car tho be warned rear can end up overtaking the front or stepping out. When i refit mine will be running x2 bias valves and hydrolic handbrake which if pulled at speed will kill diffs. Hope this gets you started others will correct me or explain better

What hydraulic handbrake kits are you running. Now that would be fun.... Any documented examples online of your project?
More brake bias is always fun.

Is your ride a dedicated track machine which is why youre running a hydraulic handbrake?

So overall you are suggesting that bigger brake discs just gives better cooler and more consistent braking. But not necessarily better stopping power if all is equal.
The only better stopping power is through higher friction mu brake pads and larger calipers... correct.

red reading

Two kits are godspeed ( not sure if still availible) and hi spec do one or two options basically brackets on standard calipers but bigger disc so braking over a bigger area less heat etc. these and uprated pads is more than enough for most cars. After that would be machine your own brackets

personally if i was to fit 4 pots its alot for a road car tho be warned rear can end up overtaking the front or stepping out. When i refit mine will be running x2 bias valves and hydrolic handbrake which if pulled at speed will kill diffs. Hope this gets you started others will correct me or explain better

Poor brake bias causes the back to over take the front, that's why you fit a bias valve.

red reading

So overall you are suggesting that bigger brake discs just gives better cooler and more consistent braking. But not necessarily better stopping power if all is equal.
The only better stopping power is through higher friction mu brake pads and larger calipers... correct.

on this car yes that sums it all up,

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Technically you get better braking torque if the calliper is further away from the centre of the hub; it's simple leverage?

Just an update... Picked up some Hawk HPS rear brake pads.

So far anyone here have upgraded the rear brake disc from the A32 Altima/ Ciefero?
Very tempted to give this mod a try.