Brake bias adjustment?

Andyp

Just enquiring about if there is a brake bias/proportioning valve? I am having some trouble in the bias seeming to be heavily on the front? Will be rebleeding all brakes anyway but I know there is a valve on the firewall and was seeing if this was adjustable front to rear? If so how :)? Chrz for any help!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
In short, no. - If I remember correctly it actually splits the system so that the front left and rear right are paired (and vice versa) rather than a front circuit and back circuit.

Have you got upgraded brakes on the front? Obviously they'd give more bite than before, plus the fronts do much more work that the rears.
What state are the rears in? They seem quite prone to getting sticky pistons, so maybe they're just not working as well as they should at the moment.
If all that fails, try more aggressive pads on the rear?

Andyp

Ah that's a pain. Yeah both front and rears where on better discs but standard calipers. Yellow stuffs on the front and it all got very hot and cracked the discs and the pads disintegrated -.- backs didn't even look like they had done much! Trying yellow stuff on the rear aswell next but just wanted to move the bias a bit more to the back to try and take some of the effort off the front. Rear Calipers wind back and push out easy aswell!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Just to add, the back brakes do quite a bit more than you might think.

I annihilated a set of rear performance pads on track many years back, they practically melted.

I'd consider better rear pads, braided lines all round and better performance brake fluid.

If you want to get serious then it's investing in bigger rear discs or installing a brake bias inside your car.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It's a simple matter of physics that the front axle does most of the work, but I can cook the rears on mine too. - On the IOM they were putting out enough heat that the alloys were hot to the touch.
Maybe that's the braided lines doing their work?

Andyp

Got braided lines all around already ^^ and the fronts got so hot that u couldn't undo the wheel nuts as they where just twisting the entire nut haha..melted brand new yellow stuff pads in 3 sessions and cracked the front discs -.-. I know the fronts do the majority but the rears were not doing enough :s...

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That's pretty impressive. :eek:
I've got yellow stuffs on mine, but since it's mainly road driving they've lasted quite well. - I see what you're saying; if their doing that much work the rears should be fairly hot too.

Now that I think about it, there might be a difference between the ABS and non-ABS proportioning for the brakes; maybe someone can confirm if that makes a difference or not (and whether it's an easy swap if you can find the parts)?