Boost upgrade query

J

Jonno

Just a query as I have had my GTI-R for approx 6-7 weeks and when I purchased it the guy that sold it to me told me that it has recently had a boost upgrade and I can see that the wastegate pipes have been slightly re-plumbed and that the electronic boost controller has been by-passed.
There is no sign of a boost control valve anywhere so how is the boost regulated :?
The boost gauge in the cockpit goes upto 14psi when the turbo cuts in, that as we all know is as far as the gauge will go so I'm not sure whether it could be overboosting if unregulated as suspected cause every now and then the car holds back when going hard through the rev' range from approx' 4500rpm upwards :?:
anyone got any ideas by any chance or am I being a tad bit dim :?:

S

Sirnixalot

it could be. The standard actuator is set to 7psi but the standard solenoid upps the boost to 10.6psi.

IF this has beeen bypasseed you should only be seeing 7psi. Check to make sure the actuator is getting a vacuum signal. If it isnt then you are running unlimited boost which is VERY BAD

J

Jonno

Yeah well that is kind of what I'm thinking myself but wasn't sure, which actuator should I check for vac' at Sirnixalot :?:

S

Sirnixalot

you see that gold can, thats the actuator, make sure there is a vacuum hose running from it to the intake manifold some where. If it doesnt have a vacuum hose then T the vacuum line for the fuel pressure regulator and get the vacuum signal from there.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Maybe it's a 1bar actuator. In which case the catuator would hold you to 1bar. See if you can put another boost gauge on and check it. It might be running abit lean f it's holding back. Failing that, if it's unlimited I think you might know by the "Feck :shock: Factor" when you accelerate. :wink:

J

Jonno

Great picture cheers, I know that the vac' hose from the actuator is tee'd off but I'll check out tomm' whether it has any vac' in it to be on the safe side Sirnixalot nice one :!:

Dunno about the feck factor :shock: when accelerating fast guy, especially when the thing holds back on me now and then, I think that is more commonly known as the feck it factor :twisted:
Nice one :lol: