boost problems

turboloon

ok guys i just had my turbo off to get refurbished cause i thought that the waste gate bush was worn causing it to not seat properly...but when i got my turbo back (they said the waste gate arm was a little 'coked 'upbut apart from that it was ok ...it was turbo dynamics that carried out the work)any how refitted my turbo and the same problem is occurring some times i'll get full boost ...1 bar set using a greddy profec boost controller and the the next time it won't go above .5 bar so i'm now thinking it may be my boost controller any you guys had similar problems..?

MORF114

try a different boost controller to see if it is the boost controller solenoid.
Check your power supply and earth to your controller it may be a bit dodgy and turning the unit on and off.

neil240z

does it boost up to 1 bar when its cold/getting warm or can it still produce 1 bar when its been on the road for a few hours? did you remove the cast housing from the turbo and check for hairline cracks? some companies think its normal and it doesnt make any difference but it sure does and could have been overlooked, there is also no seal on the wastegate, it doesnt need one, if its cracks in the cast housing it would only loost boost when driving it hard say for more than 20 seconds, once its cooled it would be ok again for a little while.

turboloon

yeah it did have a cracked housing when it went down to turbo dynamics i got it replaced ,so the turbo is basically a brand new unit....thats why i'm thinking it may be the boost controller,or possibly it could be a fault with in the ecu...i gave it another blast today initally it boosted ok then i made a quick stop for petrol (as you do owning a 'r quite regularly..lol)then went to give it some and it would only boost to .5 bar i came off the gas a bit then floored it again it went to .5 bar stayed there for a couple of seconds went to full boost again then suddenly droppped back to .5 bar...

mattytappy

Have you done a fault code check when it plays up........might be a lose connection on a det sensor? or could be a faulty actuator....did you replace that as well?

jameswrx2

try a different boost controller, there is a known fault with the greddy profec b spec 2 boost controllers and mine buggerd about too.

If it is that, hope you have more luck with greddy than me!

turboloon

ok just went out and did a fault check came up 34- det sensor, so i cleared and hopefully that will be it ....but i'm not holding my breath forgive for being a bit dumb here but where is the det sensor located..?

P

pulsarboby

wont be any good just clearing the code as it will come back again!
you need to determine why the code came up in first place, could either be a dodgy sensor or wiring leading to it!

bugger to get at as its right under back end of inlet manifold, if you have th y shaped bracket on your engine still then it will have to be all removed just to be able to see the thing, but still a mare to get off especially if you have big mitts lol get a kid to get there skinny little arms in there and give them a bag of sweets and a cheeky smile:lol: