Boost problem

Boost problem (updated)

Hey guys,

Had the clutch changed on the R at the beginning of the week and on the drive home when the car came on boost it made a whistling noise and wouldnt boost anymore and wouldnt go any faster..

Took it back to the garage today for them to diagnose the problem. We checked all pipes and they are tight and not split. Checked the BOV and it seems to be working fine. The sound comes from around the airfilter/BOV area and is about 3.5k-4k rpm. Car boosts fine up to this point, seems to be when it hits max boost.

Also, ive noticed that the turbo seems to be spooling even though both boost gauges read around 0 - i'll hear the usual sound of the HKS filter sucking and the BOV will go off when i let off :? . The mechanic thought that it was the BOV at fault. I think some pipes have been connected round the wrong way and boost is going to the BOV and not into the engine (is this even possible?).

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

Last edited:

evil_r

looks like the tubes between turbo and IC or IC and intake-plenum arent tighten correctly. you hear the "swoooooosh" when the pressure begins to rise over nominal (0)

Thanks for the diagram mate - i printed it off and followed my vacuum pipes through and think ive found the problem..

One of the pipes going from the actuator that should go to the inlet manifold goes to the BOV, and the pipe that should go to the "recirculation valve" was going to the inlet vacuum instead..

If these were switched would it give boost leak type symptoms? Im reluctant to connect them the way i think it should be incase it blows something up :shock: If they were conneted correctly and i put them wrong what is likely to happen?

Cheers,

Dan

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The pipe from the wastegate (as standard) should go to a t piece then under the top mount to the plenum. The part of the line going to the plenum has a restrictor in it to give you the standard boost level of 0.65bar.

If its going to the bov, the wastegate won't be seeing the vacuum it needs to work and the bov won't be working either.

put them the right way round. If you're worried, just build upto boost in stages to make sure everything's OK before you boot it.

Yeh did exactly as you said, connected them the way i thought they should be and started it up - started fine and the vacuum gauge was actually reading like it used to so i knew i was on the right path. Let it warm up then built the boost up in stages - boosts to 9psi exactly as it used to with no horrible whistling and hesitation. Problem solved :thumbsup:

Cheers all!

Dan