boost prob

nimhbk

get to 0.8 bar really well then between 0.8 and 1 bar not much happens.
after the needle gets stuck bang on 1.bar, if i wait for about three four seconds it then takes off.... so the question is why the gap between 0.8 and one bar

youngsyp

Do you have the original top mount intercooler ?

If so, that's due to heatsoak. Feels like someones hit you up the rear, doesn't it ?!

nimhbk

No got a hybrid front mount mate...
and yes very strange pulls really well to 0.8 and then it's like a Yugo to 1 Bar.... then takes of like a rocket for about three secs

youngsyp

Hmmm, sounds like turbo lag then, either that or your induction kit is sucking in a huge amount of hot air that is not being cooler by the intercooler ?!

I wonder if the intercooler pipes are heating up ?! Might be worth lagging them !

antgtir

What boost controller have you got, it may not be able to interpolate between certain boost levels that well?

Ant.

N

neomccollum

I just had the exact same problem! Boosts fine up to about 0.8 bar then slugs till 1..... I have a Blitz SBC DC boost controller and it's like it's not even working... Car used to boost like 1.2-1.4 bar no problem

N

neomccollum

So I think I might know what both our problems is!

Tonight I went for dinner come back out to my car and there is fluid all over the ground.... I'm like WTF?

Pull the car out of the parking lot.... drive over to a service station.... get out.... check for leak again... no leak.... then after the turbo timer turns the motor off..... it starts pissing cooland out the back part of the motor, leaking down onto the exhaust. I'm like only one thing that could be.... (head problem, either gasket or block/head crack) the other thing it could be is the coolant line to the heatercore.... but that wouldn't explain my power loss...

So conclusion I came to was that the power loss was due to a pressure drop in one or more cylinders cause of a gasket leak, as you boost the pressure builds to a point untill it's forced outside the head then the computer senses the change and retards the timing to prevent DET. Similar to a missfire or bad plug/wire. Read something similar on another forum where a guy with a KA24DE kingcab truck had a powerloss due to gasket leak on his motor and the loss seemed just like how we described it.

SO!!!! check for a coolant smell when you boost, or a leak anywhere on the motor... drive the car then shut it down and see if it leaks/smells after the waterpump stops turning and the coolant gets hot in the motor.

Goin tomorrow to double check it's not a cracked block/head...

nimhbk

Hi Ya fella, check you spark leads my cylinder 4 was not on properly, was a bit worried when you said leak, my steering fluid is pi~~ing everywhere, to run 1.2 what spec engine you got fella...
IF the gasket had gone fella you would be smoking white, and have some lovly coloured oil

Last edited:
N

neomccollum

Well I found the leak, wasn't what I thought it was. It was actually the main coolant line on the back of the motor, coming from the water pump.... So I still have the miss/retarding problem.... but I ordered all the Tune-up parts hopefully that will take care of the problem... As for motor setup..... stock motor with BC,Cat-Back, HKS mushroom, it use to have an OS GIKEN SS clutch but I blew a tranny with it and it's gone now... back to OEM used :p

N

neomccollum

Fixed my problem today when I did a tune-up..... replaced Cap/Rotor/Plugs/Wires, runs like a top! Now if I can just get the Idle problem figured out.... has anyone ever noticed if the throttle bodies/ Intake leaks does your idle bounce?