Boost Decreases after a bit of Thrashing........

nickg123

Not sure how or why this would happen....... my car is set to run just under 1 Bar but if i drive it around for say 1/2 hour, maybe giving it a bit here and there (just around town though), i find that sometimes it seems to hesitate and the boost doesn't go above 0.8??

Weird hey??

If i stop, turn the engine off and leave it for 5 mins, it's fine again as soon as i drive it!

Any ideas?

skiddusmarkus

Do a search on "heatsoak" and "this has been covered millions of times" :wink: .The ECU cuts boost via the solenoid by approx 0.2bar and retards timing.

nickg123

Aha - i thought there was something majorly wrong with the car!!!

Thanks for that, sorry i didn't realise it was a common topic!

E

Edd

it could also be the ecu cutting out because the det sensor has detected something, most likely detonation.
It is supposed to cut to 0.5 bar but it might not quite be cutting it properly (as i have found) due to having dawes device fitted and i had it cut to 0.8bar too.
IIRC you have your car set to 1 bar by yourself?
you will probably find it needs fine tuning and may be detting high up in the revs.
If it was just heatsoak you would still get it after turning engine off for 5 mins as the interwarmer will be sat ontop of a nice roasting hot engine.
NExt time it happens, pull over, turn engine off, wait 30 seconds, then staart it again and see if it boost back to normal. If it does then this is definitely the det sensor cutting in and suggest you get uprated fuel pump along with rolling road set up to get timing checked

nickg123

Fuel pump should be here any day now - it's not been cutting out at all recently, just some times it reduces the boost........ sounds more like the ECU to me.....

E

Edd

sorry i didnt mean ecu cutting out, i meant ecu cutting the boost to 0.5 bar.
i think its det sensor personally , cos mine was doing same thing but on std boost :? :x

J

J-GTi-R

Yeah, it's just the car going into safe mode (cutting boost). Mine does it all the time when the weather is hot, I just reset it by turning off the engine for 30 secs as Edd says. It'll most likely be because you're car is leaning out slightly without the uprated fuel-pump, but it could also be the DET sensor is faulty. See if it happens again with the fuel-pump in.

A

Anonymous

Mine dosent have safe mode.......It has self destruct mode :lol: