blue/grey smoke and missfire at idle

projectgtir

ok here goes ,my r sounds fine and doesnt smoke from cold(1500rpm), then once warm starts to smoke blue / grey with a slight missfire like a pop or bang (1000rpm). also with every miss the revs drop about 100rpm to 900rpm and back to 1000rpm .The car doesnt misfire when revved or driven but still smokes .It did only run on 3 cylinders but recent plugs, leads,cap+rotor seemed to sort that.
Car is standard apart from full decat exhaust system.has done 47500 miles and was also stood for 6 years untill 3 months ago .
Was thinking the smoke could valve stem seals but after reading loads of previous threads it seems the turbo seals could be gone.

P

pulsarboby

does it smoke coming off boost or on acceleration?
what were the plugs like that you removed, was any of them gunged up?

N

Nik_GTI-R

If it was valve stem seals wouldnt it be smokey on start up??After all the oil has dripped down once its been switched off??

Sounds like turbo could be a factor as the time the oil has warmed up and thinned down,thats when its letting oil thro and smoking.

projectgtir

i dont know much this is my first turbo car, but i thought if it smoked at idle it wudnt be the turbo as its not throwing any air into the inlet as its not spooling, or does it ?

red reading

have you changed the oil and driven it for a nice long distance,also could be the air flow meter.my car had been stood for a long time and did the same till i changed everything and drove the car hard for a long distance,and now it is fine

projectgtir

just thought id update this thread for people who might have the same problem with the miss i had on idle .And the smoke.
The smoke was from a back box I brought off ebay, removed it by chance when i had my elbow fitted and havnt had any smoke since.My guess is it must of been on a car that had something let go.
My miss on idle has now been cured:-D, by one of those ignition amplifiers of ebay thought I'd try one at £30.00 posted .Car also idles abit less when warm and theres a definate improvement in the sound of the car ,as before the pitch would change alot.

vizi0n

do you have the item number (ebay) of that item you bought? as I'm having the EXACT same issue about idling and exhaust tone varying!!

edit: is it the nissan p/n 22020-53j20?

Last edited:

vizi0n

just tried swapping for another one, didn't solve my issue ... i'm going to test another coil and distributor tomorrow... if that doesnt work, ill move to the injectors!