Blow-Thru set up ?

c20ona

Was just speaking to Dan_GTiR about this.
I've heard of this set up before where the maf is fitted to the intercooler piping rather than before the turbo. So had a look on the sr20forum but there appears to be a lot of confusion regarding this...mainly on my part, lol.
People have mentioned that it shortens maf life and there is possibly no benefit to doing this rather than leaving it where it sits natrually. Also mentions that the DV should be placed before the maf rather than after...what's this mean exactly ???.
If anyone on here has done this set up, what was your results ?.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Kenny

P.S - Did do a seach here but found nothing too indepth unfortunately. :cry:

ram5ay

I think the main benefits are reduced restriction at the turbo inlet, and slightly more precise metering of the air actually entering the engine giving you a cleaner response. The BOV factor is assosiated to this, as when your BOV dumps metered air to atmosphere (unless its recirculating) the ecu still thinks that air is in the system and sticks the appropriate amount of fuel in to match it causing the mixture to go rich for a sec, if your BOV is before your maf then this doesn't occur.
Think you have to watch where you put the maf so you get as smooth a flow through it as possible, as turbulence could confuse it, along with pressure waves caused by throttle plates etc. Another point to consider might be the design of the R maf, not really ideal due to its mad offset sensor hole, and small internal diameter. Think you would be better using a z32 maf or the like, but this will involve some sort of aftermarket management and a MAP sensor might be a simpler route to take if you're going that way.
Not tried this personally but it might be an interesting experiment.
:wink:

c20ona

Thanks for that mate. I've currently got the Norris FMIC so nice straight pipes to plumb into. + just bought a q45 maf & apexi ecu etc so shouldn't be too many probs setting up.
Wanted to see what was the best place to put the maf before getting her mapped.
But that was a lot clearer than what was explained on the sr20forum so thanks again matey.

Regards

Kenny

ram5ay

No probs :wink:
Your cooler should provide an ideal setup, so prob the best place for the maf will be in your longest straightest pipe after the cooler, mid way to your manifold.
Give me a shout if you need a hand, I would be interested to see how you go with this, and I'm just in leith so prob not too far from you.

c20ona

No probs Stu. I'll be sure and give you All the info this time though, doh !. :oops:

Regards

Kenny