Blow through

We can all look forward to interesting posts on aero and brakes then ;-) 8)
To be honest from a purely fluid dynamics point of view the brake cooling and vehicle aero stuff is no where near as complicated, so I'm not sure how interesting it will be.

I did build a structured light scanner over Christmas with the plan of scanning my Pulsar to create a CFD model with a view to doing a few optimisation/case studies to show how the air move around our cars and identify good and bad features. The only problem I have at the moment is time and energy, after spending 12 hours at work staring at a computer screen the last ting I want to do is come home and do the same thing.

vpulsar

I remember when my first Pulsar blew up and caught fire the flames from the engine fire went under the car and where well and truly stuck to the back window melting the spoiler and the number plate surround plus damaging the screen itself, So the rear air flow is clearly not very smooth lol.

The engine let go at 127 mph which was flat out for the gearing.

Rob

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
To be honest from a purely fluid dynamics point of view the brake cooling and vehicle aero stuff is no where near as complicated, so I'm not sure how interesting it will be.
Very!

What I like about these cars is it forces me to understand the issues at a detailed level and that knowledge is transferable.

Aerodynamic additions in the aftermarket are normally made for how they look rather than what they do.

What I like about Aero is it's appropriate to any car from a Prius to a Pulsar. I was reading posts on a green car site about how they were using basic aero tricks to increase their mpg by 50%. Basic stuff like undertrays, covering back wheels, drop tail back end and front splitters.

Slunch

I remember when my first Pulsar blew up and caught fire the flames from the engine fire went under the car and where well and truly stuck to the back window melting the spoiler and the number plate surround plus damaging the screen itself, So the rear air flow is clearly not very smooth lol.

The engine let go at 127 mph which was flat out for the gearing.

Rob
Must have been exciting! Almost ended up that way when I pushed the fuel pressure up and split a hose. Emptied the tank over the engine suprisingly quickly. Lot of that ended up on the rear screen.

Aerodynamic additions in the aftermarket are normally made for how they look rather than what they do.
Very true. The long term aim is to develop an aero package for my car, whilst maintaining the overall character of the car and not looking like one of Andrew Brilliant's hideous world time attack creations. Then map the aero loading onto a finite element model to work out the required material thickness and structual supports.

I have a few contacts with access to CNC mills with large enough beds to then create plugs in styrofoam etc. so could then make the parts using vacuum infusion, be it with GRP or carbon fibre.

I would like to get it done this year but as I said earlier work/life balance is currently favouring work quite heavily