Bleeding Coolant System

D

djbarry06

Hi

I have a Nissan pulsar gti-r 1991 & I am having some problems with over heating. The thermostat has been replaced but I am unsure if the mechanic has bled the system properly so I am looking to do it myself.

I have searched the forum but was unable to find a guide on how to flush, replace & bleed the coolant system.

Dose anyone know where I would find this guide or can anyone help me by explaining the correct procedure

Thanks

O

Odin

If you look at the thermostat housing their is a 4th bolt up high on the left hand side as you look at it, You need to undo that and let all the air escape, To flush the system just take the top and bottom hoses off and flush clean water through, The put the hoses back on and refill the system, Then run it up to temp and undo that nut a little at a time until you hear air coming out, Try also squeezing the rad hoses. Once all the air is out hot water will come out of the bolt hole so be careful and don't take the bolt all the way out.

Rob

antgtir

Make sure the heaters are on hot and blowing through or else the system wont flush all the air out.

Also after doing this bleed, make sure for the next couple of days you check your water levels in the reservoir tank as i find it always drops.

I personally never touch that 4th bolt as i am able to get the system bled without.

With regards to the over heating issues, are you sure it was the thermostat? It may also be the water pump failing. If you not certain it the thermostat or it still over heats even after replacement of the thermostat id look at the water pump and replace that.

Good luck,

Ant.

O

Odin

antgtir said:
I personally never touch that 4th bolt as i am able to get the system bled without.

Same as but I thought I tell him how the book says to do it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

If you really want to see a pain in the ass water system to bleed you need to have a go at my new charge cooler set up :doh: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

I changed my rad myself, flushed the coolant and refilled as the book said, but ever since then i had hoses blowing off and all sorts. Finally a rear hose went so now im having to take engine out :(
no idea why it lead to all these problems :(
Just be carefull mate, as i have no cooked my head gasket aswell lol

azboy

the best way to bleed the cooling system is with the engine off to start with, fill with coolant untill just water and no bubbles come out the bleed bolt, while the coolant coming out tighten up run for approx 2 mins with heaters hot pos at 3000 rpm make sure the heaters blow warm then turn off and re bleed or just drive it and re top the coolant up the next morning, as there will still be a bit of air in it, running the car while bleeding is not the best way in my opinion