Black smoke

P

PF

My car is suffering to say the least!

It started a few days ago when I was letting my car warm up before I left for work. The revs fell and the whole engine was shaking (litterally rocking in the engine bay). Puffs of black smoke was coming out from the exhaust.

Once on the move it feels like someone is stangling the car and it is hesitating and juddering. Give it a bit of gass and it pops and bangs and loads of black smoke comes out. The car is coming on boost great its just its running like a bag of crap bassically.

I am going to take it to scc performance asap but, has anyone got any ideas on what I should be looking for?

I have checked all pipes etc and everything looks good. But, Im no mechanic :roll:

The car is standard apart from a forge dump valve.

Thanks

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Air leak/ water in plug well or AFM are favourites

Try an ecu fault check to see if anything comes up.

P

PF

Great thanks for your help :wink: . Im off Monday so I will have a little play about and see whats what.

Cheers :D

J

jasegould

Sounds like its missing on a cylinder, have you checked the plugs, leads, cap and rotor etc?

sypher

as above, if the engine is shaking its either missing or severely poor idle but i would say missing and if you are getting black smoke ( fuel ) i would think you got ignition failure on a cylinder

P

PF

Its actually great fun because I had an M3 cab up my arse and I covered him in all sorts of rubbish. He had just had it washed too by the looks of it :lol:

Thanks everyone for your hints. I will let you know the outcome.Much appreciated :wink:

P

PF

The culprit was a dirty AFM. Took it out for a drive and the car is running much better... the best it has been for quite some time :D

One less thing to worry about :roll:

P

PF

Timur
I took my car to SCC Performance (St.Albans) as I did not have time to sort it out in then end due to work commitments. Give them a bell(01727867747) and I'm sure they will give you any help you need :wink: