black smoke & crap performance

LeeSmith

as above really bad smoking, deep exhaust notes as its struggling like a motha fu****! it will not accelerate and just stutters.

what can it be? i just put some injector cleaner and some other stuff in to clean the valves and it hasn't made a blind bit of difference..

HELP PLEASE!!!!!

T

Toady

could be your coolant temperature sensor, or your afm perhaps, sounds like its running too rich to me. try disconnecting the afm, clean up the terminals and re connect it, or measure the resistance across the coolant temperature when cold and see if it changes when the engine is warm. does it still do the symptom when its cold? 8)

LeeSmith

Toady said:
could be your coolant temperature sensor, or your afm perhaps, sounds like its running too rich to me. try disconnecting the afm, clean up the terminals and re connect it, or measure the resistance across the coolant temperature when cold and see if it changes when the engine is warm. does it still do the symptom when its cold? 8)
yes it did it as soon as i drove it out on my lunch break and continued all the way until i got it back, so for an hour it was still like it.

I was thinking it might be the afm but as im at work i got nothing with me to work on it and i got to wait till i finish at 20:45 b 4 i can do anything to it.

LeeSmith

would a boost leak cause black smoke too??????

i'm gonna take a look tonight, but i got to take my top mount off :-( so i'll start with the hoses, plugs & leads 1st

cheers for the help Guys, hope it's nothing serious!

geetee

boost leak would cause metered air to be lost - so overfuelling would logically follow.

Fuel pressure regulator could also be a possibility - but i've not heard of one going wrong.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

A

Anonymous

Mine was a loose wire in the MAF, rewired now and its perfect 8)

LeeSmith

Hudson said:
Mine was a loose wire in the MAF, rewired now and its perfect 8)
Nice one dude - ill check that all tomorrow too! I'll start witht the MAF seen as it's easier to get to!!!

LeeSmith

it was the spark plugs in 3&4, strange all of a sudden they would go like that, but replaced them today and all is well!!

thanks for the help everyone :lol:

well apreiciated

zia

what was wrong with plugs, usually good indication if something else is playing,you never know they too could start going wrong as the previous ones. were they sooty/black or were the electrode worn/ was the gap at right measurement?

zia

LeeSmith

really black plugs & they were gapped for 1.0 bar, they were not sparking at all, where as 1&2 were, but quite weak sparks.....they just ran over the service change i think....