'Big Up' Your Brakes

6Miester

Having been warned off EBC Greenstuff discs and pads......and after doing a quick SEARCH it seems.....

Standard replacment uprated disks/rotors
Black Diamond
EBC? :roll:
Brembo

Standard replacement uprated pads
Pagid
Ferrodo
Mintex
EBC? :roll:

Are the way to go.

So can anyone recommend what to go for? Your personal view on discs/pads you have used-not what your mate Dave said about his friends car. :wink:

Also to be
really useful-whats the best place/website to buy?

My discs/pads are shot so need to be re-placed soon! The car is on 15"s so huge discs are out.

boucherie

you wont be able to get Pagid pads for the Rears as i tried to get some, but ended up with some black diamonds as they were the next best alternative.
There is someone selling a set of front and rear grooved discs, with mintex pads i think, so that could be worth looking into if you need a full set.

6Miester

boucherie said:
you wont be able to get Pagid pads for the Rears as i tried to get some, but ended up with some black diamonds as they were the next best alternative.
There is someone selling a set of front and rear grooved discs, with mintex pads i think, so that could be worth looking into if you need a full set.

That would be Loxy i presume? Rears are now sold iirc.

Thanks anyway :wink:

boucherie

no probs, glad to help :!: if you need any other links or info on other bits for the R, chances are that ive probably asked the question before somewhere, unless its engine related :!: :!:

S

Stoned

Just stop messing about and get some bigger brakes. It's the only thing that makes a *big* difference (pun intended :lol: )

J

justin666

Im currently on TarOx 40 Grooves and pagid Fast road pads at the front.. Pedal feel is a bit better than standard and they do work a little better but they still cook after a couple of big hits.!!!

In all honesty i only got them because my standard disks were warped and at the time i couldnt afford a bigger brake set.. As Stoned said, Just go out and get some bigger brakes :D

J...

6Miester

justin666 said:
Im currently on TarOx 40 Grooves and pagid Fast road pads at the front.. Pedal feel is a bit better than standard and they do work a little better but they still cook after a couple of big hits.!!!

In all honesty i only got them because my standard disks were warped and at the time i couldnt afford a bigger brake set.. As Stoned said, Just go out and get some bigger brakes :D

J...

Mine too :( The car shudders so bad it rattles!!*

I could afford bigger brakes.....but that would mean buying bigger rims & tyres to suit, which is too much at the moment.

So the Tarox are better...but not BETTER!

*It rattles anyway tbh! :lol:

J

justin666

They are def better :) And with some decent Brake fluid im sure they wouldnt cook as much.!! The only thing that is annoying about them is that they are noisey. :shock: They drone big style.!!

J..

boucherie

[quote="6Miester]
I could afford bigger brakes.....but that would mean buying bigger rims & tyres to suit, which is too much at the moment.
[/quote]

Theres always people on here selling brakes and rims, so for around £500-600 ish you should be able to get some big brakes up front and some 16's to help make the brakes look huge behind the rims. i expect you'd prob get a couple of hundred for you 15's depending on style and condition (no offence intended if your alloys are worth alot more)
If you do need some bigger wheels let me know cos my 16's are boxed in the shed ready to be posted to a new home!

6Miester

justin666 said:
They are def better :) And with some decent Brake fluid im sure they wouldnt cook as much.!! The only thing that is annoying about them is that they are noisey. :shock: They drone big style.!!

J..

Noisy? I have never heard of droning-only squealing thats a bit wierd?

I will be uprating the fluid and lines so hopefully they won't barbeque :lol:

boucherie-I would love to find somebody selling the lot for £500!!

P.s Whats these rims like then eh? :wink:

Cris

Rally design does a kit for under £500. Fits under 15s too.

If you don't have a set you can pick them up almost nothing. I've even got an old set kicking around somewhere.

If you are going to keep strock brakes then I've used the black diamond drilled and grooved. They were better than standard and didn't fade as quickly. Chewed pads very, very quickly.

Iused greenstuff too which I liked but they lasted about 5k miles...

J

justin666

on the noise issue..

My mate used to have EBC disks and pads on his R and they also used to make the same noise as the Tarox setup when pushed hard. The EBC's were Dusty as hell tho.!! Brake dust everywhere.!!

Ive heard a few people recomend the black diamond disks so they could be worth a go :D

J..

6Miester

:D Thanks for the advice, seems Black Diamonds are the 'middle' choice. Will order a set and see how a get on :wink:

C

carpy100

in the past ive used almost every type of direct replacement discs,pads.
ive found black diamond to be the best,grooved but not cross drilled.
found tarox to be worsed!
as the others said, go for bigger brake kit cos your gonna warp anything else in no time :shock:

R

Red Rice rocket

I can supply you standard sized discs , either grooved , drilled or both for £125 all in , if you are a hard driver or do track days then dont fit drilled discs as they will end up cracking.
The brakes on the R are not up to much even with good discs and pads , they are just too small , if your budget allows you should be looking at bigger discs.

I also offer a 308mm disc and bells kit to use the standard calipers , comes with a choice of pads and is £395 for the kit , this makes a big improvement over the standard size , but fitting 4 or 6 pots is miles better again.
Cheers Ian

Cris

As a side point you may also find that decent 4 pots are light than the stock calipers. This would of course help unsprung weight and maybe offset the weight of the bigger discs.

kyepan

Cris said:
As a side point you may also find that decent 4 pots are light than the stock calipers. This would of course help unsprung weight and maybe offset the weight of the bigger discs.
good point.. the willwood calipers are aluminum. as opposed to the cast iron normal calipers.

Cris

I'd go so far as to say that it's even worth looking at the early 300ZX for the calipers as they were alloy. The later 200s and 300s had steel calipers which weighed a load more. Could have a higher specific heat capacity though I doubt that too much of an issue on our cars.

Also I think that the R32 Skyline had the alloy calipers but used 26mm discs (thickness) rather than 30mm. Again this would help on the weight front. Also I have a vague memory of the stock R discs being 26mm.

Of course as Kyepan suggests you could just fit Wilwoods (or whatever) at half the weight again.

Does make you think that massive calipers and discs do have a downside... :?