Big turbo,mapping ,your thoughts?

pete-r

Ok im half way through having an hks3037 turbo put on the car and was going to map the car at around 1.5bar but speaking to the people doing it today has put a few doubts in my mind,with regards to engine reliability.I only want to see around 400bhp,no more than 420bhp, with this setup just now(more will come later).The engine is totally standard ,apart from the head gasket,so i dont want to totally destroy it straight away,but i would like at least 6 months out of the car.The car will be used mainly for track days with maybe just one trip to the q/mile :wink:,so my question is to those with a bit of know how,what would you have the car mapped to/at with these things in mind?

GINGA

1.5bar should be fine when correctly mapped but just make sure you have the best intercooling you can and maybe run water injection as a safety feature to lesson the chances of det.

pete-r

Aready spoke to pace,theyve assured me itll be good for my requirements :wink: .A hybrid will go on eventually.just unsure what boost will equal what bhp :? anyone?

pete-r

GINGA said:
You could probably safely say that 1.5bar on whichever 3037 you have will make 400hp 8)
But it shouldnt go over 420bhp?should it?im just worried about the crank and rods.

Keira

pete, do as ginga says, do everything you can to keep that fecker cool, intercooler, oilcooler and w.i.

personnally i'd wait until you can get all that on there and you shouldn't have any probs with det, speak to mem see what he had on his :wink:

also what injectors you using ?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
pete-r said:
GINGA said:
You could probably safely say that 1.5bar on whichever 3037 you have will make 400hp 8)
But it shouldnt go over 420bhp?should it?im just worried about the crank and rods.
You might do if you have a good engine. If you're worried, maybe run it at 1bar for now. I've seen that make around 400bhp before.

pete-r

im running 700cc injectors and also having a 13 row oil cooler fitted just now.I,ll have a look at water injection but it looks pretty pricey :? ,saying that so,s a rebuild :lol: .But i have left a good bit of cash for having it mapped.

zia

1.5 bar with hks 3037 would seem alittle too much for the standard engine
but it would pointless estimating weather you be ok as to many veriable come into play.the best way would run it through with the person mapping on a dyno keeping check on egt/lambda/boost/ air temp all logged on data logger to see how the engine is responding. would start with 1 bar and work upwards.

zia

Keira

like zia says, you cant say for definate at what boost it will det, just wind it up as you go and err on the side of caution, you should see 400bhp no probs 8)

i still say keep it as cool as you can 8)

pete-r

Ok ,im gonna check out some water injection kits tomorrow then.See if i can find a bargain,i might even make this engine last a while :lol: .The mapping side of things should be ok as ive hopefully booked it in with one of the better mappers,so that should be 8) .I take on board what everyone has said,all i can do is make it as safe (cool) as possible ,get it mapped properly and hopefully all will be good.Cheers lads :) .

ki_saj_ng

good luck with it all mate!

gonnaa be mad to see what u get n how it all puts up with it, also how long every thing will last - fingers crossed ey!

saj 8)

O

Odin

My turbo is pretty much the same as a 3037 I think and I'm getting mine mapped for 1.4 bar on the standard motor, That should see nearly if not 400 bhp, We will have to see who's last's longest :twisted: :lol: .

rob