Big Torque

bracpan

Time to rack your brains lads, has anybody have any idea of how the World Rally Cars achieve the incredable torque figues? Their BHP is around 330 but the torque figures are in the 420+ and possibly even more.
As I use my car in Sprints and Hillclimbs getting an engine closer to that spec is more important than out and out BHP.
Any Ideas on how they do it, as they also run input restrictors as well.
I know I could never afford their spec of engine but those power / torque ratios would make a great engine for my type of motorsport plus road cars.
Look forward to your answers and ideas.
Cheers
Phil 8)

A

AJ4

easy, the inlets are restricted ( 43mm for RAC IIRC ).

The cars are really about 420 bhp / 420 ft/lb, but because they are restricted they can't flow enough at high rpm to make the high bhp figure, hence the high torque / low bhp.

JIMMYBACK

plus the tend to go pop all the time on high compression.... sounds expensive :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bracpan

Cheers Lads

Yes I agree does sound an expensive way to go, but will take this into account when modifying the engine. Some kind of compromise might be the way to go. As i need hi torque and and quick responce. This is also why I dont want a massive turbo. the 2.2 route might be the best opption in the long run, we will see.
Thanks again
Phil

Keira

bracpan said:
Cheers Lads
As i need hi torque and and quick responce.
Phil
gt3071r 8)

near vertical torque climb over 1500rpm from low, low down in the revs 8)

have a look at stus (dooie pop pops) graph from pts, cant call that bad response 8)

Nad

You have to ask yourself what would be faster, 300bhp and 500lbft or 500 of each. Take Grp B cars, get the gearing right and you can almost always stay in the sweet spot. Restrictor are there for a reason, to slow the cars down!!

Nad