Autobahn88 FMIC kit wont fit

dombat

Finally got round to trying to fit my FMIC kit today. It's Autobahn88 branded which many people seem to have.

The pipe that bolts to the turbo just won't fit, it fowls the black box near the manifold. It also seems to be bent at the other end so instead of pointing through the washer filler hole, it' almost pointing at the head lamp!

Has anyone else had this problem?

CanadianR

I just finished my kit. The hot pipe off the turbo would not fit unless the heat shield off the exhaust manifold was off. After that, the two boost pipes connecting the core had to be chopped, quite a bit as well. The drivers side had 4" hacked off to fit, and the passenger side had almost 2 1/2" cut out. Other than that, it fit quite well. The hot pipe was rolling towards the front of the car, but it was close enough not to have to do anything drastic. Can you post a picture of the situation?

nimhbk

yes had a bit of a problem with my turbo pipe on this kit, lucky enough for me a garage done it for me. they heated up the pipe and bent it... apart from that they had to cut the bumper, but it all went in sweet... if you live in surrey it's worth seeing Tom At Tgm Motor sport in Fleet He is Very good and Cheap, (builds and race's race cars for living)

Last edited:

nimhbk

the little black box is the oil seperator i think, also on my one i have taken the bolts out holding it, about 16 months ago now and it has caused no problems at all, you should be able to pop the pipe on then

CanadianR

The way that your pipe is pointing at the curve going through the fenderwell, is the same that mine was doing. I had to chop off some pipe off of the lower pipe, then it fit in. Don't cut until you are sure.

soin

sounds all too familiar, the pipe that comes off the turbo (triangular 3 bolt flange ) and then runs to the left fender (looking from the front of the car) was pointing out towards the headlight , not straight down .. we overcame this by cutting the pipe with a chain pipe cutter , repositioning it using the old top mount black hose to join the now two piece pipe .. works fine and the hose and old jubilee clips were perfect.. fyi the hose we used was the piece that originally went from the top right corner of the old top mount to the inlet manifold , its pre bent and of the same dimension ... still the kit was cheap

warringtonjack

Ditch the original black oil separator box. It was stopping my turbo pipe as well. Fit a shiny new catch tank, and stop the oil breather return from going into your induction pipe. This'll help stop your nice new fmic from getting oiled up inside. :thumbsup:

A

another sunny

Do they still have a bracket fitted on the turbo pipe which bolts to the front left corner of the head (above the alternator)? If they do the cooler pipe will shear at this point anyway. I had to cut mine at this point and a simple silicone hose joint fixed the lack of boost problem i then had.

dombat

Yeah, the pipe has got a bracket that is too long and the wrong angle.

I think i'll do something with the oil separator, make a nice bracket to support the pipe. Then it should all be hunky dorey!

warringtonjack- thanks for the advice about a catch tank. Is there a particular one that people use for the Pulsar. I saw one on the D2 website "cusco style" for a reasonable price. I'm not 100% about some of these mechanical things so don't want to blow the engine up!

Last edited:

youngsyp

Last edited: