arp main bearing torque

GTIR-LOZ

thats the thing im sure they arnt as tight as this i might be wrong though does anyone have the actual figure in wioth their studs if not i will do up to standard

stumo

Aren't main bearing bolts and main studs two different things?
Standard ones are bolts, ARP's are studs....

unless you're talking about the bolts on the conrods, they are the big end bolts. They are usually a lot lower torque, probibly about 40-50ftlb

Trondelond

No, I'm thinking about the bolts that secure the bearing caps on the bottom.
If I remember correctly, the main bolts/studs are screwed into the block, and then there's the bolts that secure the bearing caps (if that's the right word) on the underside?

And yes, rodbolts are a different matter. :)

Trondelond

My english may be failing me, so I'm putting up a pic. I think we agree on what main bolts/studs and rodbolts are, but here are the bolts I'm talking about that marked in yellow :

stumo

The bolts you have marked in yellow are the Main Bearing (or Cap) Bolts.

When you buy ARP ones, you get studs and nuts instead of bolts.

Trondelond

So then we have main, bearing and rod bolts/studs established.

At first I thought it was the main studs/bolts gtir-loz asked about, but then I realised that he asked for something different. And you posted the torque settings for the main studs as well.

Now we just have to wait for gtir-loz to confirm what bolts he's asking about. :p That's a lot of posts just to clarify!

EDIT : Oh, and sorry to bore you, red reading!

Last edited:

GTIR-LOZ

er the ones for the main bearings lol, the main bearings are the bearings that hold the crankshaft to the block, the head bolts and rod bolts are different things ,the picture with the yellow is correct but as said before its a stud now not a bolt

Trondelond

er the ones for the main bearings lol, the main bearings are the bearings that hold the crankshaft to the block, the head bolts and rod bolts are different things ,the picture with the yellow is correct but as said before its a stud now not a bolt
Well, then I was right. :p

I think it would have been faster to ask info@arpfasteners.com instead. :)