Apex-i S-AFC advice required

B

budd

I’ve got an S-AFC 11 fitted along with a Blitz Access ECU but it seems to be running very rich, sooty plugs etc, now I know the correct thing to do is get it booked on a dyno session and get it set up right. But I don’t want o do that right away I want to see if I can set it up myself, previously I’ve just told a tuner (big up to Jez at H-Dev) what kit I was fitting and what power I aspired to then let him get on with it the end result a well mapped reliable engine.
I know this is the right way to do things and much better than a piggy back system on an already modified ECU but as I've already got the S-AFC fitted I may as well give it a go and I'd like to better understand how the works and what effects it as on overall running (plus I’m pot loss).
It may be just me but the Apexi instruction manual is anything but clear and concise so I’m after a bit of an heads up from other S-AFC users on how the thing works, ie I want to be able to trim the fuel at various points on the rev range, which are the functions I can ignore and which are useful?
If I understand it correctly the S-AFC remembers previous settings unless it’s reset, so I assume it’s running on the previous owners / tuners settings would it be better to reset it and start from scratch or tweak the existing settings? How do I look at the entered settings relating to enriching or weakening the mixture?
I’m going to have a good read of the manual again and hopefully not all of it will go over my head but any tips or other users experience on using this piece of kit most welcome..

Well I've been reading the manual again and checking out the settings on the S-AFC and it doesn't seem to be set right at all, first of all the AFM sensor type is set to HW1 in and HW1 out, the manual says the std AFM sensor is a HW5 not HW1.
I'm going to reset the unit and start again so the above sensor type setting is cruicial to getting it set up right, so should the correct setting be HW5 in HW5 out?

I'm going to set the Th-point at 35%Lo- 50% Hi as a starting point does this sound OK?
Also am'I correct in assumeing that once reset and initial set up is complete the SAFC will have no effect on fuel settings until different values are entered?
My car as a Blitz Access ECU fitted, if I set the boost level at 1-1.2bar will the Blitz ECU alter the fueling and timing to suit this boost level, which is lower (according to the very limited info on this ECU's mapping spec I've to find) than the 1.4bar of boost the ECU is mapped to support.
Been a Jap import car with a Jap after market (Blitz ) ECU fitted iit is also mapped to run on 100ron fuel so I'm thinking lowering the boost level a bit while runnig Tesco 99ron fuel should be a lot safer, anyone any thoughts?
The plan is then to tweak the SAFC using features like Decel etc to get the best alround settings but let the Blitz ECU do most of the work.
Any thoughts or experienes welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: