AP Racing clutch problem?!?

sunnygtiritalia

I've just got my brand new clutch from AP Racing...
I've noticed that if I move the plate one of the spring is moving slightly producing a noise; is it normal? The spring can't go outside the plate but as this little movement inside its place...

I've got a damaged clutch?

Empty Pockets

They're are renown for popping springs mate, i've got an ap paddle clutch here thats done less than 1k and the springs are all working lose, won't be using mine again, if you have the opportunity for a refund i'd take it.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I didn't think a loose spring was a problem; they're just there to reduce the shock on your drivetrain when you engage gears. Once the gears are turning (and the clutch is full engaged) they don't do anything.

I'm trying to remember if they are loose in my Helix clutch; I think I could turn them around, but they weren't flopping. - You can try to send it back, but they may say that it's not a fault.

Is it just that the rattle is annoying when you're out of gear, or does it actually cause problems with the power take-up? - It's an honest question. If you say the loose srpings cause problems I believe you; I'm just trying to understand.

shroom

yer on my helix im sure I could move them around, didnt take to much notice realy, so have you just got it out the box and gave it a shake and noticed it was moving about a little?

Empty Pockets

Weak metal that holds the springs in on the ap, sometimes made a nasty sound on downshifting and when removed you could see half the springs had loads of excess play/ verge of popping out, do a search on here mate, loads of people have had problems with ap clutches.

geoff pine

If you mean the single organic plate i have an exedy plate that has done around 7000 miles and there is absolutely no movement of the spring if i try to move them with my fingers :thumbsup: