Amp set-up/settings

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Just after a few pointers.

I'v got a 4 channel amp which I am going to run 2 6*9 speakers in the rear parcel shelf and 2 component speakers up front. How do you set-up the amp to with regard for frequancy/gain etc.

gtir_pimp

gain turns the sound up from the amp without using the head unit so if you had the gain up full the music would be very loud with the head unit volume turned up half way, where as if you had the gain on minimum it would be quieter with the volume up half way on the head unit. if it was a sub, the bass would be louder with the gain up high and low with it turned down. there are usualy 3 different frequency settings i think. not too sure about this but i think its like the trebel. best way tos et it up is to start with the gain on low with the music up at what you would usualy listen to on the head unit and play about with it. trial and error is the best way!

Garef

Your wasting your time with 6x9's. Get a sub instead, and bridge channels 3 & 4 to run it. It will sound far better running a setup like that, matched up with your components than it would with components and 6x9's. ;-)

daddyone

Get someone with a scope - doesn't need to be anything mental. Play test tones from a downloaded test tone compilation. turn the head unit up as high as it'll go without the sine wave distorting and then back it off by 3%, do the same with the amp. This way you can go as loud as you like and shouldn't blow anything. Stay away from EQ and loudness, make sure you deaden the doors and boot at the very least. I am lucky enough to have a Fluke 345 to play with, most sparkies should have access to a O scope.

daddyone

Oh and I usually use crossovers to stop the tiny front speakers having to play anything below 50hz, but this will depend on the quality of the speaker. Use a high pass filter on the fronts and a low pass on the sub. I used to setup SQL cars back in the nineties and had some really loud / clean systems under my belt within a couple of years. Could well be persuaded to do a dogs bits install in a GTIR ;)