Alternator voltage?

MORF114

How much voltage is our alternator suppose to put out on a R i know hondas are around 13.2v which is considered high?

I had a little misshap last week or 2 ago which resulted in a engine bay fire and fried some wiring etc etc and the cause was put down to a dodgy alternator which was kicking out just under 20 volts on idle, all wires in engine bay have been replaced/spliced and my old ****ed alternator has been reconditioned and put back in but on idle its kicking out 14.4v on idle.

Is there a switch or something that comes off the alt or some wiring somewhere to let the alt know the battery has reached charge and can stop pumping power into my battery as the last thing i want is to be doing 250+kmh flat in 5th touching the redline when my battery explodes and covers me in some lovely battery acid.

any one ?

then again we were thinking my starter maybe also goosed which im on my 3rd now in a few months :shock: we think maybe the solonoid is staying open and the wires are getting a bit hot over time and thats what caused the fire but i dont think the wires which started the fire were the ones going to the alt as all the wires in that area were all pretty much fried and we dont know the full cause yet just scratching heads hoping it doesnt happen again:evil:.

These problems have only occured after i gave it to a garage for a day and the car came back with quite a few problems than it went there with, im putting it down to just plain bad luck.:sad:

geetee

14.4V is about right. This shouldn't change much if at all when you rev the engine.

It needs to be higher than the 12V of the battery to be able to overcome the resistance of the battery in order to be able to charge it.

MORF114

Sweet as .

all good now then thank god a few different people have been telling me different things but they dont work on R's so they know **** all really.

v8 guys reckon i shouldnt see over 12 and the honda guys say you shouldnt see over 13.2 and the rotor heads that work opposite me are always pissed so i didnt bother asking them lol

cheers for the replies guys :thumbsup: