Alarm and turbo timer compatibility ?

Empty Pockets

I would like to know which alarms people with turbo timers are using with no problems? I had a toad a1606 fitted when i bought the car in may and have just been enlightened to the fact that my baby has been unlocked since then!! Alarm works fine when car is not running but when you get out with the t-timer on/ engine running and press the fob, no chirp but the doors lock, and when the engine turns off all the doors unlock again! Took the car down at 9am to get sorted and got told at 4pm'ish that they have spoke to toad and they dont work with t-timers, they reeled of a load of other one's that don't work aswell. Anyways, i know when i'm being fobbed off so said to leave it in there untill its done so i could get my facts right before i go down in the morning and have a 'chat'. Would like to know any models of alarm that definitely work with t-timers tonight if possible so i can get them on it tomorrow . Thanks lads, Russ

gtir_pimp

i have a toad alarm too and was told it was possible for the turbo timer to work with the alarm but just not very well. toad told my auto electrician that if i had a TT then there would be a period of time after the TT had shut off the engine where the car wouldnt be locked. he couldnt be sure exactly how long for but said it could be up to 10mins! or another way round was to loose a function like the voltage drop (when someone trys to hotwire the car and shorts the wires or something) and even then it may play up by letting the TT run for longer than it should and then automatically lock after it had shut the engine off. this could ovr run by up to 10 mins again, meaning someone could just open the door and take the stereo etc in that gap where the engine is running. So this comprimise was far to great just to not have to sit with your car for a min or 2 after a good thrashing!
i wuldnt bother with the turbo timer if i was you

R

riske

you only need to turbo time your cars down for 30seconds or even 1minute at maximum!!! even after a massive thrashing! People timing their cars down for anything over that is just a fool. I'm sure you can just wait 30secs then set the alarm???

Garef

When I got my car, I had a Blitz turbo timer working with a Clifford alarm. No problems, but I eventually turned the Turbo timer off. I'd rather sit in the car for an extra minute and know it's locked properly than take any chances with it opening once the turbo timer has finished.

Empty Pockets

Obviously i could sit in the car for a minute but its annoying as fu*k especially after no-one said anything before i paid. Theres a few alarms out with auto-start features on them so i wouldn't have thought a t-timer would be this much of a problem, but if no-one can give me the model i guess i'm stuck, If it was just unlocked while the engine was running on the t-timer i wouldn't be bothered as its only a minute but at the moment it locks untill the engine stops, then unlocks a LOCKED door?? Surely thats not right? Anyways, i'll see what happens tomorrow, just a bit p1ssed as its stood unlocked for three weeks, should be happy i still got it really.

Godzilla

when i go work in the morning i dont even boher with the TT as its just wasting fuel as i work 5 mins down the road only have it running for 30secs when i been out for a bit or a big run as i dont really thrash it , jsut the odd foot down is good enough for me .

R

riske

Yeah you would of thought that the ones with the auto start features are your best bet. Clifford 950 and 650 i beleive. Because the car is still locked when it starts so they may well be ok once the tt kicks in. Check those 2 out but that would mean a whole new alarm and replacing of yours. or you could just save money and wait for couple of secs while your car cools.

Empty Pockets

Cheers for the help lads, looking like i'm gonna have to take the tt out then. :cry: Thanks for putting me straight though as i thought the shop was trying to pull a fast one, saved me some embarrassment .:lol:

GTIR-LOZ

a gentle run after thrashing it is alot better than a turbo timer to be honest, it lets the car cool better

R

riske

Naa you dont even have to take the tt out. Just let it cool for 30secs. by the time i take the keys out and get my shit together and actually get out the car its nearly 15secs anyway. Then by the time i walk away from car i'm still in enough range to set the alarm. You'll soon get into a routine on what works best for you but definately dont just turn the car off after a drive, you must let it cool lads. like Loz said its also an idea to be gentle as you near the end of your journey.

gtir_pimp

i was told toad were better alarms than clifford and thats why i chose toad over clifford. clifford have more fancy features like the intellistart, windows do up with the alarm etc but cars with toad alarms are harder to steal. And also toad are more reliable (so my auto electrician sais). he gets more people with clifford alarms come back to him to repair them than toad, 10 clifford to one toad!!! sometimes the people who have the clifford change to toad too! in my eyes safety is better than flash features.

gtirjoey

Cliffords are the best end off! the reason everyone will tell you toad is better is because there a.cheaper b.easier to install

Matty B

I've got a clifford concept 650 with built in turbo timer and proximity sensors. £450 all done. Best alarm i've had. Just press a button on the fob and she ticks over for a minute. You can also turn the car off with a press of a button. Its funny when you walk away and someone shouts, ' you've left your car running mate ', and i spin round and switch it off with the fob. Sad or what, hahaha.

gtir_pimp

Cliffords are the best end off! the reason everyone will tell you toad is better is because there a.cheaper b.easier to install
it doesnt matter what alarm you have really. theres no alarm thats invinceible, and no car thats unstealable! years ago one of my uncles mates had a rs500 cossie with the very best alarm, immobiliser, tracker, etc possiblewith loads of L.E.Ds to let people know how alarmed up it was. hes a flash git! he left it in a car park for about an hour, came back to find there was a note on his drivers seat what said "dont take the piss sunshine, if we want it we will take it"!!!! :shock::lol::evil::twisted:

which is very true

Matty B

Your right buddy, alarms don't stop the serious thieves. All they do is put them off a little and make there life a bit harder. Like you say, if they want it bad enough they will take it. You have just got to make it as difficult as possible, i use the clifford alarm above and a disc lock for the steering wheel.