Air Flow Problem?

Fazz

Hi lads,

A friend has a problem and I wonder if between us we can diagnose or advise next steps:

Car is down on power but plenty of boost. He went to rolling road and most they got out of it was 180bhp!!!
Tuner advised that the air flow signal was very low, and may be sending bad info to ecu hence a problem. apparently it was 3v or something?

So guy changed air flow meter but still same problem.

I asked for other symptoms, and basically its that when the turbo should be kicking in its a bit slow, like holding back, but if you keep shoe down it will go.
But judging by rolling road there is a problem!

Now the tuner adjusted the timing also. Apparently it is now fully to one side instead of in the middle. So either fully advanced or retarded.
If the tuner accidentally retarded timing all teh way then would this explain it?
But its unlikely he did as he is fairly good..

I know its all a bit vague, but basically underperforming yet boosting fine. So some kind of air flow problem it seems.
Connections on meter all checked and fine.

Any thoughts or advise for things to check?

N

Ninja_tune_factory

what code's does it bring up when you check the fault code's?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
First of check the mechanical timing of the engine with a timing light... Set it to 20deg...

Then from there see how the car runs...

The std airflow meter reads a max of 4.1v (i think) so you will hit that when its maxing out... 330bhp - 350bhp...

Running 3v could say that its pushing enough air for about 200bhp really... Thats just a guestimate...

After fixing the timing you may find the car runs fine... If not then do a fault code check... There are instructions in the How To section... Also listed are the code faults...

Get back when you have done all that and we can advise further...

It could be as simple as your ignition needed a refresh - plugs, leads, dizzy, rotor - but if the guy is as good as you think then he will have checked that already...

Rishi