Aftermarket oil pressure guage - what else is needed?

paz

Hi,

Say if I was to buy an aftermarket oil pressure guage to keep a more accurate eye on my pressure, what else would I need to actually make it fit.

For example, if I was to buy a standalone guage similar to this:

http://www.rspec.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=285

Do I need to buy any additional senders etc, or would it plum directly into the existing pulsar sender/wiring? I won't be fitting it (unless it turns out its straightforward) but obviously need to know what I would have to buy.

Cheers

Paz

geoff pine

I think you need the sender that comes with the new gauge fitting where the OE one goes or teed of the same tapping i decided to do this with mine using spa duel gauges pressure and temp.

R

riske

I was looking to do this too. Geoff, when you say teed of the same tapping. What do you mean? Hows it work?

With oil temp, should i just buy a sensor/sender that replaces the standard sump plug and go from there.

R

riske

Trip, they look very nice, exactly where i was going to put mine i was also gonna go for 3 on the a piller too...too much? lol. Where did you get the center thing to mount them on?
So the senders are provided and just replace the stock senders? except im guessing boost is a hose.

Braveheart

If you are going to measure oil temp via sump, you need to use a manual gauge.... the gauge paz has posted is electrical.

stumo

Paz, that's an electrical guage, it comes with it's own sensor which you'll have to fit somewhere.

If you look where the oil pressure sensor would be (behind the oil filter) you'll see the AEM sensor and on the end of the extension you'll see a pressure switch , that switch is set at 20psi (unlike the factory one which is much lower) and you can wire that to the oil light on the dash.

and if you get a few guages you can do this....

R

riske

Im liking that Stumo. However im still confused???? If i got an electrical on just like Paz, where do you fit the sensor?

Sorry about the hijacked thread.

stumo

The standard oil pressure sensor has two wires (from memory), one does the pressure guage on the dash, the other wire does the oil light,(to find out which is which earth one out, either the guage will move or the light will go out/turn on)

In the picture the rectangular brass adaptor that the new sensor and switch fit into looks like one of these

you obviously need to work out what threads you need.

you also need to get an oil pressure switch, it makes sense to get one that makes the light go off over (say) 20 psi

all you then need to do is screw it all together and wire up your new guage and switch.

R

riske

We could do this all day but i'll be the bigger man and give up. SO i just replace the stock pressure switch with the Aftermarket one and wire the sender from the stock sensor?

stumo

well you started it and i couldn't give a flying f00k if you think you're the bigger man or not.

read what i've written, that's not what i said.

CanadianR

bump - does anybody know what thread size and type the standard nissan sensor is? My oil pressure gauge is playing up and its time to change to an aftermarket one. Nissport says it is 1/8 bspt. Can anybody confirm that?