afm (maf) problems

nismoboy

im currently running a q45 afm with a power fc pro and the car wont idle or run properly at all, ive also tried a z32 and i get the same problem, but when i install the standard gtir afm it runs sweet?? my conclusion is that if u look at a standard afm the element is sheilded from airfolw so to speak its designed to let air pass through it but not back up it as the element or hotwires if u like are protected in another channel. im thinking that the turbo is pushing air back up the inlet pipe to the afm and causing them to go mental, so i think the problem is with the design of the q45 and 300zx afms anyone come accross this problem before or even better know a way round it? thanks.

J

jpward

Sounds to me like the sensor type selection may be wrong??

c20ona

I've got the Q45 maf and Power FC and it runs better than it ever has. Just fitted it, selected the last maf option on the commander and hey presto, sorted. Sure it's wired up ok ?.

Kenny

nismoboy

c20ona said:
I've got the Q45 maf and Power FC and it runs better than it ever has. Just fitted it, selected the last maf option on the commander and hey presto, sorted. Sure it's wired up ok ?.

Kenny

Hi, yeah ive selected the last option on airflow menu for the q45 afm and yeah im pretty sure it wired right too. thanks for the replys keep em coming

could the maf need re-earthing?

M

Matt_S

Ive seen guys who mounted the AFm too close to the turbo inlet suffer running issues. The AFM was approx half way down the inlet pipe between filter and turbo inlet. Dunno how you have it fitted :)

nismoboy

Matt_S said:
Ive seen guys who mounted the AFm too close to the turbo inlet suffer running issues. The AFM was approx half way down the inlet pipe between filter and turbo inlet. Dunno how you have it fitted :)

ive aslo heard about this so i increased to inlet pipe length by a silly amount so it was sticking out of the car to see if it made any difference and yes it was better but still not good enough for my tuner to map it. thanks for the reply matey.