adjusting clutch?

Gaz gtiR

Hey lads the biting point on my R is a bit high for my liking & have a feeling its slipping a tiny bit. i no the problems with it biting to low but i want to lower the biting point a slightly. so which way do i turn the rod behind the clutch pedal?

as for clutch slip can can it slip if its biting to HIGH? coz if not i may just leave it as it is?? & cold it slip if it bites to LOW?? :?

it has a ap clutch that was new before i bought the car 2 weeks ago. :-D

ollydj

The adjustment on the pedal is purley just to get the pedal at the right hight. If the biting piont is high it will slip as this could be signs of your drive plate being worn, also the springs in your cover/pressure plate could be weak which will reduce the pressure onto the drive plate resulting in slip on acceleration. Being that its a hydralic clutch im pritty sure it cannot be adjusted.

Gaz gtiR

ok i see wot your saying. ive had a look at some threads on here & still cant work out which way to turn the rod for the clutch to bite a bit closer to the floor (lower) do i wind it towardds fire wall or towards pedal?? :?:-D

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
can't remember off the top of my head, I think undo the lock nut a few mm then turn the rod as though to tighten the lock nut back up, either way you'll see the pedal position gradually change as you turn the rod.

Gaz gtiR

ive just left it as it is coz ive undone the lock nut but the bar wont move as i cant get enough angle on it to turn it n it wont turn with my fingers?? oh well. :s

olliecast

A very small set of snipe nose pliars worked wonders when I did mine.

Also if I press upward slightly on the bar its levels it up then it turns by hand.

ollydj

The adjustment on the pedal is purley just to get the pedal at the right hight. If the biting piont is high it will slip as this could be signs of your drive plate being worn, also the springs in your cover/pressure plate could be weak which will reduce the pressure onto the drive plate resulting in slip on acceleration. Being that its a hydralic clutch im pritty sure it cannot be adjusted.
Gosshh i didnt realise that you could adjust that biting point on the master cylinder:doh:, ah well you learn somthing every day...:-D

Spikey

mine is the other way round, i have the press the pedal all the way to the floor and even then i still get a crunch. Can i use the same adjustments?

olliecast

mine is the other way round, i have the press the pedal all the way to the floor and even then i still get a crunch. Can i use the same adjustments?
Yep exactly the same mate. Doing this sorted the crunching into 5th on my old box

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Gosshh i didnt realise that you could adjust that biting point on the master cylinder:doh:, ah well you learn somthing every day...:-D
I read that as there is no adjustment for the biting point; it's a hydraulic clutch so it self-adjusts. What you can do is adjust the "free play" before the pedal starts moving the master cylinder.

If you're finding that it's not releasing the clutch it suggests that you've either got way too much free play, or that something mechanical (or hydraulic) is wrong. For example: no fluid = no movement
leaky master (or slave cylinder) = no movement
split hose = no movement
bent/damaged fork = no movement

Having replaced the slave cylinder, then the clutch plate and cover, then the master cylinder, I think I'm getting a feeling for this now. :doh:

olliecast

What you can do is adjust the "free play" before the pedal starts moving the master cylinder.[/I]
Hence altering the biting point witihin the clutch pedal travel.

Too low and it won't disengage properly, potentially causing crunching etc

Too high and it may cause the clutch to slip

Spikey

I just adjusted mine after driving to Manchester and in down it would not select any gears and when it finally did, even with the pedal all the way to the floor and the car was still moving. It seemed to get worse on long drives. I made it back home and adjusted it about 2mm. It works wonders. Just watch you dont poke your eye on the brake pedal ;)