ABS crunching

A

Anonymous

Hello All,

I have a 1991 gtir and I have had a problem with the abs for a long time now. Most of the time when the car is about to stop the brake pedal starts to crunch and sounds as if its winding up and starts pulsating. If I take out the ABS fuse that fixes the problem which makes me think its the abs system.

I have changed the brake pads, I have changed the brake fluid and also machined all the discs. None of these fixed the problem. the antilock light does not come on except when the car first starts and if the fuse is out.

Can anybody please give me some advise on things I can try.

Thanks a lot

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Could be a buggered ABS sensor... Not too cheap to replace either... :(

Does the AntiLock light come one when you brake... :?:

A

Anonymous

No the antilock light only comes on if i physically either remove the fuse or take out the magnetic sensor from one of the brakes or something like that... is there a way to test the sensor?

Shaun

:D Isnt there an ABS computer in the passengerside foot well, with an LED on it,that flashes if there is a problem :?: Please correct me if i'm wrong :!:

J

jasegould

There are 4 sensors, one on each wheel. Check that the sensors are mounted correctly, that the wriring is ok and that the sensor rings are clean and free of dirt and debris/cracked etc. I have seen this problem before and it was because the sensor mounting had corroded and split and the sensor wasnt positioned incorrectly. You can connect each sensor in turn to a scope and spin the wheel by hand and look for a smooth pattern, which is the best way to do it...but not everyone hads a scope. The other way is to connect the sensor to a multimeter set to AC mV or dwell, and take a reading from each wheel whilst spinning at the same speed (eg 1rpm per sec). I cant tell you what it will read but you are looking to make sure they all give roughly the same reading, if one is majorly diferent from the others then thats prob the faulty one.

Sounds like your ABS is working ok,I know it sounds severe but thats just the way system works. I crapped it the 1st time my abs kicked in as hadn't had abs before.Though i had a problem and took it into the garage to get it checked,after they had a chuckle they told me not to worry. The brakes are supposed to pulsate,that's what stops them locking on. The sunny's system is just not that refined i'm afraid.