ABS code check

celm

is it common for the left front ABS sensor to go bad,cause mine went bad i think cause im getting a code 5 from ABS ECU

hmmm

mine went bad and and the previous owner had it replaced. Ridiculous price at £193 :shock:

G

GartracS2

To check wheel sensors disconnect multiplug near suspension turret (FR) and measure resistance (w/manual tells you the reading I think max is 3 Ohms).
Beware that its also a nightmare to get out a wheel sensor as they often sieze in. Also CV joint reluctor rings crack causing a mis count of the ring teeth thus bringing on MIL.

G

gtir drew

Any one got any clues on what to do when code 15 / sensor rota apperas?

J

jiw

i too have just found a code 15, anybody shed any light on this?

G

GartracS2

yeah the rotors are called reluctor rings and they crack often thus bringing the mil on.
Its a new cv joint mate im afraid unless you take one from a scrapper.

6Miester

Ok, so i have found the Solanoid valve relay...shame replacing it did not fix the fault!

Anyway, took some photos to explain where it is and how to change it.

Also a picture of the ABS computer and the LED which flashes to indicate which fault it has.

First picture showing the ABS Relay in engine bay:

I found the overhanging bulkhead prevented me from lifting up the plastic cover so its easiest to unbolt the whole lot and move it out.

This picture shows the unit with the plastic cover removed.You only need to push the two small clips out to take it off. Then the Relays just pull out.

Last two pictures show location of the ABS computer. It looks abit odd because i have moved the carpet etc. Basically you need to open the passenger side door and kneel down.You should see a plastic trim/cover between the carpet and the (near) glovebox.It will have a clip or the flare attached to it.

Its not necessary to take it all off to see the LED. Just lift the door rubber a bit and push the trim over until you can see it.

Heres what the computer looks like in case you're interested!!

Hopefully this will help someone else, and its not too basic?

P

PietroThePilot

In my car (i'm Italian) the abs relay is loking to the engine under the hood on the left side of the engine.
It could help someone with a left side driver car

mprice501

My Antilock warning light doesnt come on, but almost everytime i break the brake pedal vibrates? i need to fix this before my MOT.

Shaun

mprice501 said:
My Antilock warning light doesnt come on, but almost everytime i break the brake pedal vibrates? i need to fix this before my MOT.
I'm looking at a mates car for this very reason.Anyone have any ideas?

Animaldaz

Tooth damage on one of the hub rings maybe?? Merc sprinters do this when the gap between sensor and ring is too large.

Shaun

Animaldaz said:
Tooth damage on one of the hub rings maybe?? Merc sprinters do this when the gap between sensor and ring is too large.
Not that either mate.Had all shafts out for inspection this morning and all rings are in good condition.

Shaun

Just a quick update,just taken the car for a spin and all seems to be sorted now with the ABS.Only thing i can think of is i had to knock th Sh*t out of the rear CV's with a copper hammer as they were seized in the hubs so must have shifted a few cobwebs.

gtir_pimp

i have a code five (front left sensor). is this the passenger side or drivers side? i assumed it was passenger side but have replaced the sensor,checked the teeth etc and its still coming back with a code 5. abs light only came on after i had my gearbox replaced. the sensor was second hand and i noticed it had electrical tape around it and the drivers side sensor didnt! any ideas

Geo3

Help I have my abs light on and I went to Nissan to get light turned off with consult and it won't connect to anything. I have disconnected battery over night and re connected still on. I have carrie out L.E.D light test on abs ecu and I have no lights from it at all?

Geo3

Can anyone shed some light on this? My abs light is on! I think it has come on since i put battery in boot. I have tried carrying out LED diag and i have no light what so ever flashing!!! I have checked fuse under bonnet all ok. I have found a 10amp fuse in fuse box under dash blown and blows striaght away. Its the 4th one from right bottom. Says its engine control but my cars runs fine???

Any help would be appreciated