a couple of gearbox questions

nathan

right im unsure what to do im in the middle of building a forged engine and i want to build or buy a gearbox but i dont know what to get i want a straight cut box would i be better to buy a box or buy a gear set ??? and also what options are there ??

vss irvine

buy one thats already built, but..

for the price of an uprated gearbox you could run 5 or 6 rebuilt standard gearboxes.

and even with a 2 or 3k box, youve no guarantee you wont have problems.

danny does fully rebuilt standard boxes for 450

P

pulsarboby

as above nath....buy one thats built already!
my quaife will be available soon as im now running a full dogbox, like skiddus im gonna get danny to check it over prior to any sale.

tbh theres no real need for straight cut box as semi helical gearset is just as good for track stuff and fast road use, but dont think any of these boxes are indestructable as they are not.
i broke third gear on a quaife once and they are meant to be practically indestructable.
some people are running standard boxes and they have lasted ages where as others seem to go through them on a monthly basis, think its down mainly to luck and how much abuse you give them

gtirjoey

In my opion/experiance a good condition standard box will hold out for quite some time @400hp I'm only on my second box in two years which I think is pretty good and personally couldn't warrent spending 2k plus on an uprated box

Smo

In my opion/experiance a good condition standard box will hold out for quite some time @400hp I'm only on my second box in two years which I think is pretty good and personally couldn't warrent spending 2k plus on an uprated box
I agree - my car has run 395bhp and 411ft/lbs for 19,000 miles on a standard gearbox and it still feels as new.

Jinxed.

I

iomegalinux

by the way, is there a way to improve the stock gearbox ? maybe by a metal treatement. i have a spare gearbox on the shelf, and mine is not going very good, so if i can improve it, i'll try it.

nathan

inbox empty now im unsure the only thing that really puts me off a standard box is its top speed i think i will keep the standard box till it pops then i really want a straight cut box to remind me of my old mini lol

whytie

Myself I've never seen much of the point on forged engines and quaife boxes especially on a pulsar. On a skyline or newer scooby ect yes, but as everyone knows 400bhp is close to limit. I may be wrong but fresh standard rebuilds can be just as good.

red reading

Gearbox's are luck of the draw on these car's whatever power your running,they have week link's as standard that i know about and quite frankley i would'nt expect a standard g/box to last anytime at all at 400bhp/380lbft ish due to the fact the gear size and tooth pitch etc is the same as a frontwheel drive nissan gearbox! i have had one box last me about 5000 miles with near as dammit 500bhp (and one box lasted me 500miles ish) but in the end it broke! the par and quaife boxes are good and as long as you don't go side stepping the clutch with a strong twin plate or similar clutch and snatching from 3rd to 4th too hard and breaking the syncro energiser springs you should'nt have any trouble, but if you want good built standard gearbox's i can supply as many as you want.

boost

whats the prices of a standard gearbox thats been rebuild red? as im sure they wont last long with high power going through them...

red reading

whats the prices of a standard gearbox thats been rebuild red? as im sure they wont last long with high power going through them...
£350-£450 depending on what i have had to do to the boxes i have done at the moment,but prices will rise depending on parts needed.