5th gear

P

purplemonster

i have a crunchy 5th gear at speeds of over 65mph ?
i think my baulk rings are warn on 5th gear ?

any tips on how to change 5th gear and anything i should be warey about
any body know the part numbers of the baulk rings?
and how much they cost
cheers

ROBERT

Keira

Dont quote me on this but i'm sure that 5th is fixed to the shaft and you have to take everything apart and replace the shaft and gear ???

It was one of them :?: :?:

Vaguely remember mike (ex-gtir) saying something along those lines when mine was crunchy, i was lucky, turned out to be sh!t oil

chrisniss91

Hi mate this happened to me about a year ago and the way for me to get into 5th on the motorway before changing to 5th put your foot on the clutch or put it in neutral let the revs go right down to 1000rpm then change to 5th i think it was the syncromesh or something and i needed a full rebuild :cry:

andygtir

i had a slight crunch into 5th at high revs when i bought it, changed the oil and it was fine. just shift slowly - or just double de-clutch.

M

Muppet

cheers guys looks like ill be trying it over the next few weeks,the rest of the box is fine ,thats y i dont want to buy an exchange unit,several hundred pound just to fix my 5th problem

ill give it a go and post my findings etc

ROBERT

P

purplemonster

the previous post was from me on muppets log in

sorry for the confusion

ROBERT

P

paulrandy

Changing fifth gear is a piese of p*ss, it's the first gear you come to on the shaft when you split the box, pull the bearings off the end of the shaft with a puller, knock out the roll pin that holds the selector fork to the selector shaft and slide the gear and fork off the shafts at the same time. easy. just be carefull to keep everything super clean, its not like an engine - no oil filter so keep things as clean as poss. also be carefull with the pullers if you have to use them on the gears as they can chip quite easily. another thing, the selector ring for fifth is double sided despite only one side being used so you can often just turn them over.

It's first and second that are 'fixed' to the shaft BTW, so if you trash them it's quite often game over.

P

purplemonster

cheers for that

i stripped my spare box down and i will repair it and just swap them over rather than taking my car off the road,
just got to buy some spares now and put it back together

so if anybody is selling any gear box spares drop me a message

thanks
robert