3071GT vs GTX

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
For a 400hp engine, a 3071GT turbo probably needs to operate at 1.5Bar give or take.

I understand a 3071GTX gives comparable performance to a GT until you start to operate it at higher boost levels so it would also need to operate around 1.5bar?

My 3071GT is .64ar so is known for its spool, I think the GTX seems to come with a .78 ar (Not sure if this can be specified otherwise?)

So although the GTX billet wheel might improve transient response, spool would be comparable or worse to my existing turbo?

To my right foot I wouldn't notice much difference compared to all the other factors associated with the engine and turbo response.

So can anyone think of a "better" turbo for 400hp?

Just banter really as I'll likely just get mine refurbed when the time comes.

red reading

A engine I built for a member on here made 416 at 1.6 bar on a 2871, but for the transient response and efficiency a 3071 is better, there is also the billet 2867 which will make 430 if pushed....so what about a hybrid 3067?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
A hybrid might hit the sweet spot.

Just been reading about Borg Warners turbos, There doesn't seem to be the experience around yet but the claims seem positive over the equivalent Garrett.

red reading

6258 I think is the sweet one you would want for up to 440.....no practice experience on the sr 20 from me on that one.

Empty Pockets

Lot of messing imo, smallest they go is T3 iirc, and that's open/single scroll, T4 in twin/divided, so will need new manifolds/downpipes to fit, not a problem if you're going big power anyway, but it's a big cost for sub 500bhp. I've never seen an open scroll EFR graph either (not that i've looked )

grim_d

The 6258 and 6758 come in single scroll t25 fittings. New downpipes/elbow yes as v band outlet.

I would imagine there are other hurdles with them though. I don't think anyone wants to be the guinea pig either.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Is price a consideration?
Plan A - stick it in again as it worked even if there are some small defects
Plan B - Rebuild it
Plan C - Swap if for something "better"

TBH, plan A is favourite followed by B or C in the future once it fails. Even I can swap a turbo in a day so just banter really.

MarkTurbo

I would imagine there are other hurdles with them though. I don't think anyone wants to be the guinea pig either.
If I'd had the spare 2k for the turbo and to make a manifold I would have had a 7670 on my car ages ago. Saving money to move in with the missus and mountain bike racing has been getting in the way though :oops:

I've just f**ked my shoulder up quite badly though so the car may be getting some long overdue attention soon!

RO_SUNNY

My GT 3071 R made 420 bhp and 498 Nm of torque at 1.7 bar.

And it's a hybrid because it has an T25 flange.

And it's for sale:)))

vpulsar

Apparently the GTX 2863 I bought for my Pulsar can do over 400 bhp according to Owen Development, And hopefully spools very quickly indeed so maybe that is an option.

Rob