240 volt lcd to 12volt

P

pigme1000000

need help on this one is it possible to wire a 12volt lcd screen to your house mains ?????

G

Green Dwarf

If you havent got or anyone you know hasnt got a spare 12v transformer of the right or slightly higher watts and amps (duty/load) try car boot sales (pay only pence), as they are the sort of thing that just breed in peoples under stairs cupboards as they often outlive the appliances they power ie ansaphones, cordless, lapstops, monitors etc.

Look at the back of the LCD and check the power rating in terms of watts(w), amps (A)and or Milli amps (M.a)

Loook for one that says stabilised or regulated. Avoid cheap multi/switchable voltage ones they tend to give out wildly diiferent power from what the switch set is at.

You would be well advised to get one from say a lap top or phone as these tend to be be much better quality as in giving a more stable and cleaner power out put than the cheapo multi voltage ones you can buy. They are also designed to be used continously/continous rated, ie left plugged in/used hour after hour whithout over heating. You are looking at big money to buy a quality, stabilised, regulated multi voltage after market tranny.

using a tranny of wrong output or dirty output (cheapos) will at worst kill your appliance and the least it may do is cause it not to work properly, for instance interfeerence like snow or lines on the screen or white noise on the audio.

Important: get one whith the same size terminal as the in car one so that its a snug fit in the LCD power in.

An if your really, really stuck, send me the power rating and if ive got one spare ill post it yer for nowt (saves me putting it in bin) if you send the postage. - Honestly go to a car boot sale! 50p - a quid tops!

Fusion Ed

I would recommend a CB Radio style 13.8v DC Regulated << IMPORTANT. You want one with an output of 3Amps or more.

No phone charger will be capable of this. (none are 12v or any where near the current) and laptop chargers tend to be a higher voltage (up 20v in some cases)

Ed

G

Green Dwarf

Important to check for polarity. This means is it + or - at the tip of the plug. Oh and check that the lcd is DC, which it will be if it runs direrct off your car/caravan elec.

Somewhere near the power socet or on the data label should be some symbols probably where it says 12v. Should look a bit like --C.-+ only the first - will be in a circle. The full stop after the C, will be a big dot inside the capital C, and the + at the end will be in a circle. If its that way round, its positive tip. If the symbols are reversed, ie after the big C whith the dot in it its a -, its negative tip.

I know this sounds confusing but it isnt. All that matters is what is the symbol in front of the big C. make sure the transformer you buy has the same and you will be ok. If your stuck I can post U one. Albiet old.- a geez in need, is a geez in need of a deed. After all, a pigme i suppose, is sorta like a dwarf!

Dear Ed, I agree phone trannies are totaly unlikley to be anything like 3Amp. And certianly not mobile ones! But 12v, yes there used to be plenty of them about (likeley car boot material) for example my Panasonic KXT2429 in its day the most popular tele/anaphone ever sold in the USA/Canada.

Whith huge world wide sales including europe and in the uk. Both as Panasonic and badged as the BT king Fisher KXT2429BE -The phone people used to buy just to get the tone dialer accesory so they could blag callboxes to do free overseas calls.

There were a number of other phones around that also ran on 12v albiet a few years ago. I think, although I could be wildly wrong, my KXT draws 0.9Amps.

I have a Texas Instruments/Toshiba lap top AC adapter ZVC36-13-E52569, 50-60hz,100-240v/13v, 2.77Amp,0.6-0.3amp, 36watts continious rated, positive tip, about 1995 vintage. I agree these days 12v lap tops are probably a bye gone, but what is likeley to turn up at a car boot? My new lap top runs 19.5v, 4.62Amps. I am sure you can find every flavour in between and more. Cos their 4 lap tops they tend to be very stable.

P

pigme1000000

also im trying to hook up the monitor to the pc,can you get an adaptor to so the preouts can go on the back of the graffix card????