200sx manifold on my R

M

Muppet

Hi All

I thought I would put some pics of my engine bay as me and purplemonster fitted a 200sx manifold which seems to be generating quite a bit of interest among some fellow R owners. We have tried to take pics to show where the turbo is now and what had to be moved and cut and made to get it on. It is not a guide as yet but as I get time I will try and explain what was needed and what was modded to get it all on. I still have a couple of things left to do like get the braided oil feed that needs to be longer before I can start to use the car.

regards muppet.

N

N1SMO

i have been lookind to do this as well. did u get one from ebay.
does the turbo out pipe from the 200 fit as well.

M

Muppet

Hi yes it is the ones that are for sale on ebay.

This is the turbo outlet and for now I have modded the old downpipe until I can get it to my mates work and sort a bigger downpipe out.

regards muppet.

C

caz

That looks very similar to one my pal bought, but he couldn't get his to fit :D

S

Sirnixalot

props for under taking it and making the manifold fit. I hope it lasts longer for you that it does other people.......im interested to see how you connect the dump pipe and down pipe 8)

M

Muppet

I did not take any pics of the down pipe as I have only got it on as a tempory measure as I still have a std down pipe. I cut the orig down pipe after the 90 degree bend then cut it by the flange. Bolted the flange to the down pipe and welded a new 90 degree bend in then used a flex joint just to mate it up to the old system. I plan on making a much bigger and better flowing down pipe when I can get into my mates works as it is alot easier when it is up on a ramp. I already have a scorpion cat back system so it is only the down pipe that needs replacing. When we do it I will try and get some pics as well.

I hope it lasts as well but only time will tell. I have only taken it around the block so far and initial feeling was good but I am awaiting a longer oil feed and have tried a temp measure but I would not like to use the car everyday as it is so then I will hopefully get to see how it feels and what difference it makes.

regards muppet.

G

gtir_94

Looks awesome, I have been getting twitchy fingers wanting to bid on one of these seeing as Im upgrading my turbo soon [GT28 BB] After seeing your pics, I figure I might just buy one from ebay.

Looking forward to hearing what modifications were needed to have it fit.

M

Muppet

Details about Rad

The pic below shows where the original rad was mounted. we used the orig rubbers and drilled 38mm(I think) holes into the cross member to put the rubbers in and a 25mm hole on the left as the std rad is pretruding. The std rad is a bit high as the top panel had to be cut and it is a bit deformed. I think at a later date I will either get a shorter rad made and fit a new slam panel or make a new slam panel but using a orig slam panel would look better. Both the orig fans have been taken off and we went for a pacet 9" fan. I can't say how effective this is as the weather is not very hot and takes absolutely ages to get it to kick in. The turbo inlet is still very close to the new fan but should be ok.

M

Muppet

lambda
This pic shows the new lambda as the threads were different to the old lambda. I have just used a universal 3 wire type from my local motor factors. Same thread as the common bosch as found on vauxhalls etc.

E

Edd

Looks good, i am using this manifold on an HKS GT3037 :shock: :shock: :shock:
It'll probably crack, but seeing as a greddy manifold cracks, for £50 and some extra bracing i'll take the risk for now, and upgrade later if it fails.
I'll get pics in next week or so hopefully as the design is being built up on a spare engine :wink: :twisted:

M

Muppet

oil catch tank and intercooler pipe.

we have just turned the std oil catch tank around by 90 degrees and used some samco and made a couple of brackets to hold it in situ. The TMIC bracket has been cut as the new manifold is now in the way. we have fitted some rubber under the intercooler to stop it vibrating. The turbo outlet was cut where it was 2" od and used a power file to take the lips out of it and used a 2" id 90 degree samco to join them up. You can also see how close the fan is to the turbo inlet.

M

Muppet

fitting manifold to the head

to get the manifold on it did come into contact with part of the head which I think the tmic bracket bolts onto. we just ground it back to allow it to bolt on.

M

Muppet

other issues

I have no more pics at the moment to show.

The oil return needed to be a lot longer and we used a length of samco. we had a braided pipe from off the board and although it was way too short we had it lengthened as it is made from hydraulic pipe. I shall be getting a goodridge oil feed pipe made shortly.

I have described earlier in the thread about the down pipe.

at the moment I think that covers most of what was done.

regards muppet.

A

Anonymous

Hey Muppet,

Great work mate. Just a couple of quick questions. What (if anything) had to be done with the water feed/drain lines?

Regards,

Richard

M

Muppet

oh yeh forgot about them. The water feed from the block. The pipe was cut roughly in the middle and lengthened using rubber pipe and jubilee clips. The water pipe from the turbo fitted ok and I have used one of the braided type from off the board.

regards muppet.

C

ChrisR

Edd said:
Looks good, i am using this manifold on an HKS GT3037 :shock: :shock: :shock:
Edd,

What have you done about the wastegate for the HKS?

Chris

E

Edd

the manifold is being modified, possibly extended, and a wastegate pipe welded off it.

ian c

questions

OK, i hope this hasn't already been covered...but i am just about to buy one of these and so i thought i'd better check current situation!

Has anyone actually managed to get one of these 200sx manifolds to fit yet, with the standard turbo - and the car running?
If so, who? Has he found good results - power torque etc?

Muppet, is that the 200sx elbow as well you are using??

From the research i've done so far it all looks fairly straight forward, just wanted to ask before i buy!

Thanks.