1 bar of boost

S

samellio

Just wondering if there's a problem running 1 bar with standard everything(i'll bank for a new clutch but apart from that??).
Would the fuel pump need changing?
Cheers,
Sam
ps i need more power!!

G

GTI-R Kid

Some people have found that the standard fuel pump is at its limit running 1bar boost, while its been fine up to 1.2bar for others.

For peace of mind it's a good idea to upgrade the pump, especially as they can be found for 100 quid.

Thats all you need, but worth considering is a fuel controller and boost controller (you didn't mention how you're planning on raising the boost). And have the money set aside for a better clutch. :wink:

S

samellio

Thanks Rob,
Ill probably keep my pump standard as on my old car it lead to a few teething problems: - after about 2 weeks of fitting the trigger from the ecu stoppd working meaning a new ecu(£100 from a scrappy :wink: ),
also on track days it kept on cutting out because the feed in the tank wasn't quite picking up properly.. Got it all sorted in the end but if im only going to run 1 bar can't see there's much point..
Boost wise ill probably go for a bleed valve and boost guage and have it set on rollers keeping fuelling standard- this setup was fine on my last car..
For the clutch im not sure what to go for.. I used an Ap organic clutch and was quite happy untill somtimes on track etc it wouldnt select any gears and said clutch is now slipping according to new owner of my last car.
When i was at TOTB2 a few of the guys running said they were using helix clutches- anyone got any thoughts on these?
Had my new sunny at Crail on sunday managed 14.05@96.8mph this isn't good enough :twisted:
Cheers,
Sam

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Hi there,

1 bar should be fine on standard everything but as mentioned before some people struggle with a standard fuel pump at 1bar... Its worth having it setup properly though cos you don't want any knocking... :wink:

Rishi

A

Anonymous

Samellio,

Were you in the grey R with the roll cage?

I was the Black R that raced you up the 1/4 mile on Sunday!

My best was 13.3 @ 105.4mph

G

GTI-R Kid

samellio said:
When i was at TOTB2 a few of the guys running said they were using helix clutches- anyone got any thoughts on these?
Try searching the forums for a more detailed picture of people's opinions on the Helix clutch, but i can tell you from what i've seen myself on here they get great reviews with some owners running 1.4 bar reliably through them. 8)

S

samellio

gee Gti-r..
Yup its me with the grey sunny :wink:
Thats an impressive time you got- did you know you were the fastest in the class?
Going to keep everything standard and see how it goes.. Got the car booked into AVA(rolling road) on friday to get boost set with a bleed valve. I'll post the results..
Cheers,
Sam

A

Anonymous

Cheers Sam,

I didnt know that I posted the fastest time in class! :D

Good luck on the RR, I was at AVA a couple of weeks ago to get the fuelling checked and found I had a faulty Lambda, all sorted now tho!

S

samellio

AVA RR reults

Well everything went basically to plan getting 170@the wheels standard and 210@the wheels with a bar. The guys said the reading wasn't accurate as the brakes were binding badly.
The fueling was fine but started to knock after 1 bar
Other interesting points they made:
A mappable ecu is better than boost/fuel controllers( they thought said controllers were a waist of time :? )
For £900 you could get an ECU that controlls timing, boost, and fuelling fully mapped and fiited :wink:
standard airbox is better than aftermarket

I have been going to this place for years and am really impressed by the enthusiasm they have and for their ability to put up with people like me asking stupid questions etc :D
Cheers,
Sam

G

gotoinstant-redline

IF the standard air box was better than the aftermarket one, do you think that EVERYBODY on here would have an aftermarket one??

yes a fully mappable ecu is better than the piggyback stuff. but i can be an arse to setup and may take 2 or 3 trips to the mapper/tuner to get it spot on.. and will need to be re-done every time you add another mod. well it will need to be remapped if you want the best performance from each mod.

what ecu did they surgest?

L.

S

samellio

Their reasoning for the standard air box being better is that it draws the air from the front of the engine bay.. Also they said that on other cars when they have fitted after market air filters they have actually lost the odd bhp compared to standard.
There's a guy from japan with a supposed 600bhp skyline thats in this months Japanese Performance who runs the standard air box with a replacement filter who thinks the same.
The ecu they reccomended was "link" and quoted about 700 and 200 for the mapping. This seems quite cheap to me if it sorts timing boost and fueling. With all that sorted i might even risk going for 1.2bar :wink:
The guys at the RR also said that for me there probably wouldn't be much point in having such an ecu for running just 1bar as its fine standard