1/4 mile runs.....What RPM do you all launch at????

B

beast14

Also, do you run out the RPMs when changing gears(let's say close to rev. limiter) or do you short shift??
I'm timing my car over the weekend, so I'm kinda anxious.....
I find that I'm getting too much wheel spin when I launch at 6K rpm and I don't want to launch too low because I'll bog........

paz

think most people launch at around 4-5k, some may launch higher though.... personally I don't go over that as I don't want to put too much stress on the car. Saying that though, if you control the clutch well, imho theres really no need to ;)

paz

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'm around 5000rpm (close ratio box) on launch, I don't realy look that close tho, just give it some then bye bye :wink:
I was redlining it in every gear :oops: but I'm gonna try abit lower next time.

J

Jon

ive found on my set up every time ive been on santa pod strip
5-6k launch pending on the stickyness of the surface
my tacho is set to shift light at 6,200 rpm.

if i get it right then it feels like my head is gonna come off with the smooth, constant pull of the car & it feels like the car is getting ahead of your thoughts! (& reaction) :?
Jon

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
JON said:
if i get it right then it feels like my head is gonna come off with the smooth, constant pull of the car
Jon
I know that feeling :D
Thank goodness for head rests :wink:
6200rpm sounds abit low, you won't (shouldn't) have reached peak power by then. :shock:

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
At York Raceway I'm launching anywhere from 4800 - 5700 rpm. No wheelspin, just loadsa grip and traction :twisted: :!: That's with Toyos' and Helix Clutch :D

As for gear changes, I'm changing up around 6800- 7200rpm.

Launchin bout 6k and with 280bhp and side steppin the clutch NO wheel spin. Well nothin more than a screeeeech.
Found anythin less get little bit bog down but even then only puts a couple of 10th's on my times. Can't see a semi standard R (ie up to 300bhp) havin any probs with wheel spin on a dry day.
Gear change hard and fast and just on red usually. Depends on how the car feels. Generally grit my teeth and throw it in and hope nothin breaks and so far so good (well on the 1/4 mile anyway).

J

Jon

nice feelin when u get it right eh fastguy :D

i've had my tacho set to that as that is where
the peak power is on my set up so i try to keep it at that now.
good for a 12.19 1/4 mile time so i'm chuffed :)
Jon