£1k re-build?

CruiseGTi-R

Re-build folk,

How far does £1k get you for an engine re-build?

Would it mean having to do it yourself (if you knew what you were doing).

How much more needed to get someone decent to do it.

Say all based on blue printed OE re-build, nothing fancy.

Mr GTiR

For £1k that will get you a set of forged 87mm pistons, steel rods, ARP rod bolts and a steel head gasket!

CruiseGTi-R

Its a bit of a dumb query I realise, but its for reference for a warranty.

Without going into a full bore and rather tedious 'what else do I need', I need a ballpark figure for all in decent re-build for parts alone, and then approx for labour.

Again, based on not too fancy a set-up (i.e. not 1k pistons!)

I'm sure I could search this out, but the situation I'm in I need some direct advice.

C

carpy100

bloody hell mate, a grand aint goin far! have you stripped it down yet?
if you havnt you mite be in for a shock.anything could be wrong from cracked head to nackerd turbo.

T

Toady

well ive done all mine myself and its so far cost around £1500ish. :wink:

CruiseGTi-R

Toady said:
well ive done all mine myself and its so far cost around £1500ish. :wink:
I'll be spending more that a k, but need to get a feel for how much more on top of what the warranty will provide.

Thats what I needed to hear. So far meaning lots more to do or pretty much done?

Whats the trick to it, re-building within reasonable cost parameters (eerm, hate the word, but within a budget).

Keira

CruiseGTi-R said:
Whats the trick to it, re-building within reasonable cost parameters (eerm, hate the word, but within a budget).
buy everything from the states 8) , unless of course parcel force lose it then it will cost :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

i hate those c u nt s :lol:

Mr GTiR

kieron said:
buy everything from the states 8) , unless of course parcel force lose it then it will cost :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

i hate those c u nt s :lol:
LMAO i could see that coming :lol:

CruiseGTi-R

Bottom line, is it possible to re-build the engine within say 2.5k.

Some people might spend 5k on re-builds with all the toys, but will 2.5k see me through, with giving the car to someone to do.

Need to get a feel.

T

Toady

put it this way, my mate spent 5k on the same spec engine rebuild as mine with a tuning company, except he has std cams....MUG!!

He didnt know me at the time! heh heh!

Kieron - Those lameasses at parcel force have lost stuff of mine in the past too! :evil:

Davey

Is nobody listening to what he's saying, he wants a standard engine, just rebuilt :? (ie, nothing fancy) :wink:
Having said that, I havent a clue what it would cost you either m8.
Best bet is to (try) and find a decent/good engine builder, and get a quote from them

ki_saj_ng

if ur realy on a budget and ur rebuilding a standard spec engine, u might aswell source a second hand engine, will cost less than a gran and then a couple hundred for the swap unless u can do it urself :wink:

theres a couple for sale on here, might be worth looking into.

saj 8)

A

AJ4

A standard rebuild is only a set of rings, a rehone and new crank bearings, couple a hundred quid tops if you are doing it yourself. If your getting a garage to do it = £££££'s

T

Tug

Sorry to correct you davey, but its not a standard rebuild, its a BLUEPRINT REBUILD hes asking about, nothing fancy, my arse!!. know what one is do you? let me educate you, every little single piece is stripped cleaned measured with micrometers due to manufacturing tolerinces, then machined : to the absolute exact size and then reassembled. probably cost thousands in labour. better to get a bog standard one tuned to fuck and probably cheaper too. didnt know anyone went for blueprints these days, thought it was a lot bigger in late 80s early 90s

T

Tug

to add to above post. unless u an experienced engineer with the machinery cruise, u got got a better chance of shagging satchia than doing a blueprint rebuild mate.

CruiseGTi-R

ok, so maybe I forget the whole blueprint idea. I thought blueprinting would be part and parcel of any re-build, but hey.

Let me expand on my situation. The engine I have has had an oil pressure problem, which I hope to fix before any re-build. Nissan have said that there is bottom end noise already so its only a matter of time before it lets go.

So, I've a couple of options I'm toying with.

1). IF the engine holds out for a while (and if I can fix oil pressure problem (I suspect a bent sump (see other post))) (phew, thats a lot of brackets), then I plan to buy a re-con/2nd hand engine to re-build myself. This way I can drop in a few choice parts over a slow 'learning' re-build as finances allow to give me a strong unit to run circa 300bhp. When the original does let go I have the 'race-ready' engine to swap in. I'd have around 2.5-3k for this. I can then re-build the original again and so on.

2). IF the original engine snaps tomorrow, I'll do a straight swap for a standard engine, simply cos cash levels at the moment will only stretch to around £1500. This then gives me a timeline to re-build the original as a more dreamy-specced engine.

Question is, where to source a re-con unit which someone has looked over already and given the nod as in decent condition, even if it has standard internals. Need one which someone has done a basic strip and checked the basics, re-assembled ready for straight swap. Does this sort of engine exist for approx £1k?

Cheers for all the help, wasn't planning on engine swapping so soon into R ownership, but love the car too much to sell on.

T

Tug

What about doing option 1 but setting aside say 500 for a diesel runaround for if your engine does go, as a backup car in the meanwhile?

CruiseGTi-R

I have another car as a runaround to get to work and back, workhorse etc so no worries there.

Where / Who are the best places for decent re-con engines? I've no idea where to start.

Gti-R Spares, they list engines with 12k warranties, can't be bad ?

Will one of these drop in without fuss and pump out a stock 220bhp?