your opinions please guys..

boost

hi all..

well my car is getting there slowly and the engine is coming back this week..

the only problem/doubt in my mind now is the fact that i looked at my invoice for my helix clutch to make sure before i was to put it all back together that i had got the uprated one for road use.. something like 390lbft torque.. this is not the paddle one..

so i call up mardi gras and explain to them that i would like to check the clutch if i give them the part number on the invoice..bear in mind i had brought it almost a year ago...

they say..

oh no thats the uprated road one.. but not the one with the heavy duty cover..etc... so im slighty pissed off by this time..

now when i brought it i made sure that we was talking about the right thing and that i got the correct one...the uprated cover etc...but i have my doubt in my mind its not...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

now i asked do these clutches have a part number just to double check as by this time the engineers have balanced the engine including the cover..!!

they say (mardi gras motorsport) no they dont have part numbers on them..

so lads... do i just discard this clutch and bite the bullet and buy one with a better clamping pressure as im hoping the engine will be around 350-400hp with its spec.

just for referance my clutch cost me 420 inc vat.

what would you guys do... its a bit of a long story to say the least..

thanks keith

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I didn't think that Helix made a "standard" cover plate; I thought it was the organic plate or the cermo-metalic plate with the same 20% uprated cover... then the paddle clutches.

boost

hi pobody..

yeah i have the organic plate, i think the clamping pressure is only 320lb torque though..?

unless im mistaken..

i just wish the people selling these things had more savvy tbh. they dont have a bloody clue.. !!

im just in two minds just to make sure it will be ok by getting an os gilken or simular that i wont have a problem with..

unless there is away i can tell from looking at the cover..? possibly spring colours etc.. thats my only other idea?

boost

this is taken off the rally nuts website..
200SX 94-01 (240mmn 421Nm) (30-2705) 200SX 94-01 (240mm, 498Nm) (90-2705) Sunny/Almera GTi/Primera 2.0 16v 90 on (215mm, 260Nm) (30-2670) Sunny/Pulsar GTi-R 92 on (240mm, 421Nm) (30-4070) SUnny/Pulsar GTi-R 92 on (240mm, 370lb/ft) (30-4070HD) Sunny/Pulsar GTi-R 92 on (240mm, 446Nm) (90-4070) Skyline GT-R R32 90-94 (240mm, 459Nm) (30-4073) Skyline GT-R R32 90-94 (240mm, 530Nm) (90-4073) Skyline GT-R R33 94-99 (250mm, 490Nm) (30-4075) Skyline GT-R R33 94-99 (250mm, 600Nm) (90-4075) Skyline GT-R R34 99-02 (250mm, 514Nm) (30-4077)

i have on my invoice the 304070... 421nm which is 310 lb/ft..

i dont have the uprated one then... it looks like..

shroom

george what was the torque it could take? sure you said it was more than what the paddle was,

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
According to Rallynuts: 30-4070 is the organic clutch kit (plate and cover) - that does 309 lb.ft (421Nm) of torque.
30-4070HD is the organic clutch with the stronger cover (HD=heavy duty) - that does 370 lb.ft of torque.
90-4070 is the ceromometalic paddle clutch - that does 328 lb.ft of torque.

I read that as "30-" is the standard organic plate (obviously "90-" is the paddle), and "4070" is the standard cover which is something like 20% uprated over stock.

If you paid £420 for it, that sounds like the right price for a heavy-duty cover. The "standard" one works out at something like £390.

If think you should just assume that Mari Gras don't know what they sold you any more, and you should have confidence that you got it right the first time.

boost

looks like im off to buy a different clutch, better to be safe than sorry,

i have just had the call, my engines ready to be collected. cant wait to get it all in and bolted up..

boost

still after your opinions please guys... how much are the next best clutches etc.. as im going down the quaiffe/ppg/ uprated box too...

P

pulsarboby

just buy an os giken your not gonna get any better than that

boost

is that the best way to go...are they expensive?

i will have a brand new helix up for sale then.. if these os giken clutches arent loadsa money....

P

pulsarboby

there over a grand but you get what you pay for tbh

you need to think that youve spent a fortune on an engine and gearbox so whats the point in putting a girly clutch in it!!!
its the whole key to good transmission between engine and box.

im sure youll still get a good price back for the helix you bought

boost

lol..dont talk to me about money and spending cash on them... in the last year i have spent at least 6 grand on my engine.. lol and i still have to buy a clutch/ quaiffe and turbo... no wonder im a tad tight lately.. ha ha

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Its a shame that the RPS brand don't list the GTiR Max Street clutch I have - 474lbft :thumb:

Downsides is its mega heavy and you have to "beef up" the rest of the clutch system to cope with it...

there over a grand but you get what you pay for tbh

you need to think that youve spent a fortune on an engine and gearbox so whats the point in putting a girly clutch in it!!!
its the whole key to good transmission between engine and box.

im sure youll still get a good price back for the helix you bought
My thoughts exactly.
Had this when i was on the Cossie owners seen, people building crazy top spec engines and gearboxes, then having rubbish brakes, shocks and clutch.

ashills

the heavy helix organic will hold over 400ftlb and 450bhp if u start launching hard it may not last forever
i would have one everytime over an os giken for a 3071 powered car