Yet another problem!

ki_saj_ng

Hey guys,

here goes, earlier on in the day i drove around in my R and everything was ok, not a single problem (apart from the ones that i know of) this includes a little trashing here n there :wink: also drove it from herts to notts yesterday (120miles)

just drove it a while ago after being parked for 30mins or so and something just didnt feel right, especially when i began to cough like a b*****d. i drove up a hill in 2nd and by the time i got to the top my whole car was covered in a cloud of smoke, inside and out. since then i parked up and just drove it back home now and noticed it only smokes after 4,000rpm (turbo) even when reving when parked. also whilst driving i experienced a fairly jerky acceleration. also, my goose dont sound right as it seems its choking or something.

is this the turbo on its last leg? how long will it last me from this point onwards?

any ideas and solutions please guys as i think this is more serious (than my other shitty problems) and could result my R being parked up for a little while :cry:

anyone got a turbo for me? :(

cheers once again guys.

saj, not 8)

I

Innovate Performance

First thing, What colour is the smoke? Need to know this as different colour smoke means different things.

Normally if you turbo seals are leaking oil it will do it on idle and at all engine speeds. But this is not always true!

G

GAZ P

Yep what colour smoke :?: If its black its due to over fueling, blue may indicate a f*cked turbo or internal engine probs and white usually the head gasket.

ki_saj_ng

1stly, thanks for the reply guys.

im a little confused, the car doesnt seem to smoke on idle, maybe a very little bit. as soon as u hit the revs, theres smoke, more blue than white but definately NOT black.

it pop loads when revving (whilst standing, dont dare to drive it anywhere)
and the induction kit (blitz) makes loads more noise than normal, it seems thats popping too.

how could i distinguish between turbo or internals? maybe through loss of oil for internals but i have a leak from rocker gasket already, so...?

so whats the verdict? please make it cheap one as some of u guys know that i have cams to replace.

thanks again guys, i appreciate it loads.

saj :x

MarkTurbo

Do a compression test :wink:

If it was the turbo it would still run ok ish, you said it was not running right and the exhaust was popping which sounds to me like it could be a piston :(

ki_saj_ng

ok. how do i go about doing a compression test?

when u say piston. do u actually mean piston rather piston rings?

if the compression test comes out ok then its the turbo right?

and the car is still popping, this happens as soon as u start to rev the b*****d. any ideas on the noisy air filter?

cheers

saj

MarkTurbo

ki_saj_ng said:
ok. how do i go about doing a compression test?

when u say piston. do u actually mean piston rather piston rings?
Get a compression tester (they're about £15-£20 from Halfrauds). Take the ht lead off the coil so the car wont start. Take all the spark plugs out. Then screw the compression tester into one of the cylinders and turn the engine over for about 10 secs and note down what the reading on the gauge on the compression tester is. Then repeat on the other cylinders :wink:

From what you said it sounds a bit like a melted piston :( What boost was the car running :?:

ki_saj_ng

i will get the tester and do the test 2moro early as i can. the car is only running 1bar, this is done using just a bleed valve controller, it was setup SE (i know, they r KNOBS) but they did set it up right as it ran alot better than it did b4.

but if the piston has melted, the car shouldnt run too smooth at all, but in my scenario it seems that it just doesnt like it once it gets revved up but on idle its ALMOST ok.

well il do the test just to get that out of the way and hope its the turbo.

can i do any tests whilst driving the car, i might take it out an see how it behaves on the road but dont want to worsen it so that it doesnt run at all.

thanks, will post up results once done.

saj

ki_saj_ng

hey, just got in from taking the junk for a little test drive and in my opinion id say something is up with the turbo.

it picks up (not as it should) but still picks up and the engine seems solid as ever, no noise and still fairly smooth ride from engines side of things.

on idle the car is 95% perfect. BUT as soon as its revved the slightest, it begins to POP like a MOFO. i know i have a goose but its never behaved like this. when driving it sounds more like a subaru grunt (exhaust)

a :idea: , i mentioned earlier that my rocker was pissing out oil, the whole bay is covered almost. any chance of oil clocking up turbo or something - causing it not to run properly and smoking? thinking this cos on the test ruin just now didnt build up a cloud of smoke-not much smoke at all to be honest (its dark tho)

i know im going on but this is really getting to me.

saj

anyone up for coming down to notts and fixing this little sh*t for me :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Is that oil getting on the exhaust and burning off, hence the smoke?
If you're blowing out that much oil, it sounds like your engine is on it's last legs.

If the compression test comes back good (doubt it) check your bost hoses are on OK as you may have a boost leak, hence the problems over 4000rpm. What pressure is the boost gauge reading?

Also check for loose/split oil line to the turbo and for exhaust leaks around the turbo (loose bolt normally).

I

Innovate Performance

you could have a blow head gasket as that would cause a missfire (the scooby sound). :(
It s hard to tell with out looking at it and we are in south east london :(

ki_saj_ng

GUYS!

the results show 4th piston DEAD!

nothing else to say really.

What sort of figures am i looking at to get it back on the road and also what sort of return would i get on the car if i was to strip it?

saj

MarkTurbo

I thought it was gonna be a melted piston :( Was there zero compression on that cylinder then :?:

What boost were you running then?

You're probably looking at £1000 at least to sort it, unless you know what you're doing and can do it yourself.

As for stripping it, you probably could make your money back but its a waste of a car in my opinion just to break it cos you cant afford to repair it :roll:

ki_saj_ng

the first three cylinders were clear, show 11 on the meter, at this point i was happy thinking the last would be clear too but only read 3-4. there was very little compression.

as for boost i was running 1 bar using a bleed valve so maybe not so stable. there are not so many mods on the car at all.

one other fault i found whilst testing the compression was that EACH spark plug well was flooded in oil as were the plugs. im thinking maybe due to the length of time that the cams were worn led to this problem.

i dunno, what would u guys do if in my position, strip, sell, repair, new engine?

saj

I

Innovate Performance

it depends on how much cash you have spare. If you want more bhp then go for the rebuild and have the pistons uprated and the headgasket done so you can get good reliable horseppower.
Stripping the car means that you will have to get a new one and you will have a car hanging around for ages.
New engine is still going to cost you some cash.

it is up to the person who's car it is. we can only advise.

ki_saj_ng

well i would like to have around 300-350bhp max, what sort of rebuild would i need to go ahead with to acheive this sort of power? and also what sort of prices should i be paying?

i guess its not possible to replace just the one piston and its not probably worth it due to the labour cost of stripping down the engine.

what parts would be required for the rebuild?

pistons, metal head gasket, cams (need them already) clutch (i have one waiting to be fitted) .........

saj

ki_saj_ng

anyone else know where to get good cheap re-build from.

i already have a quote from Norris Designs, just waiting for James from IP-very helpful, SE-usual treatment from them **nts.

i just wanted a few figures from a few different peeps to get an idea.

once again, thanks to everyone on this club who has helped as i would have been totally lost without ur help :)

still trying to smile but its fooking hard i tell ya

saj :x