Won't Start.....34 fault code ---FIXED...god i stupid

M

madcabbie

Hey guys, I can't get my car to start. It cranks but won't fire. I did a fault check and its comming up 34..det sensor.

Heres what I did prior to the problem..might help...

Yesterday I put a new relay for my walbro fuel pump. It worked fine after that.

Today I replaced the Rotor button, Dizzy Cap and spark plugs. The reason it to see if they were causing my fuel surge problem around corners.

After I replaced these it wouldn't fire up. I changed each thing one by one back to the old items to see if I had a fault item, but still won't go. Put all the old items back on, including spark plugs, still no go.

The only thing I noticed was that where the rotor button goes onto the shaft, and the is screwed into place, seems to be in a different position to when I removed the rotor button. What I mean by this is that when undoing the nut holding the rotor in place, I had to go from an angle below, and couldn't get a good look at the nut. But now it is level...And I can see it when the rotot button is inplace. I am not sure if this moved when you crank the car, or if I have somehow moved it. I know I can't move it manually, because I tried. Has this to do with my timing?

Thanks

PS...I have no idea where the DET sensor is, to check it... :oops:

Keira

sounds like you've messed up the timing, it needed to go back on as it came off.

the det sensor lives up the back of the engine :(

M

madcabbie

kieron said:
sounds like you've messed up the timing, it needed to go back on as it came off.

the det sensor lives up the back of the engine :(
Since there is only one hole where the screw goes on, the rotor is sitting right. Now I know very very little about cars, but does this shaft that the rotor button sits on, move at when you crank the vehicle. this could explain the slightly different position.

Now that I have gone away and thought about it, I remember firstly having to put it on from a lower angle, when I replaced it. and then when I checked it after it didn't start, I checked it and the rotor was in a different spot.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Have you checked wether you're getting fuel or a spark at the engine?

If your old relay was ok then try putting it back in and see if it starts. If you don't have a working replacement, check the fuse for the fuel pump. Can you hear it run briefly when you put the ignition on?

OZ-Racing

madcabbie said:
does this shaft that the rotor button sits on, move at when you crank the vehicle
Yes. When the engine turns the rotor arm spins in order to send the spark to the correct plug at the correct time. When you stop the engine the rotor can stop in a number of different positions.

For example: You never know which direction the valve on your wheel is going to be pointing when you stop the car, if you get what I mean :wink:

Keira

did you put the rotor arm back in exactly the same place as it was when it came off when you changed it ???

thats what i meant

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
kieron said:
did you put the rotor arm back in exactly the same place as it was when it came off when you changed it ???

thats what i meant
Wouldn't the grub screw only let it go on in one position?

Keira

didnt read it properly, thought he'd replaced the whole dizzy :oops:

have to make sure rotor is not moved

J

jasegould

Check the leads are on the right way..sounds stupid but I did it the other day on my RST, even had the lead order from the computer at work and it was wrong, just changed the leads until it started....Ive been a mechanic for 10 years BTW :oops:

When you try to start it do you get backfires or intermittant firning on the odd cylinder, if you do then thats prob what it is
Jay

M

madcabbie

jasegould said:
Check the leads are on the right way..sounds stupid but I did it the other day on my RST, even had the lead order from the computer at work and it was wrong, just changed the leads until it started....Ive been a mechanic for 10 years BTW :oops:

When you try to start it do you get backfires or intermittant firning on the odd cylinder, if you do then thats prob what it is
Jay
No backfire, just won't grab and fire. I will check the leads again, I am almost %100 they were right. Because I did do that once, have one on wrong.

The brand new spark plugs I put in though, on 2 of them, I noticed scold marks, like they were burnt. sounds like leads huh...Maybe I have a fault lead, even though they are only a few months old. I will throw my old ones on to check.

M

madcabbie

Fast Guy said:
kieron said:

thats what i meant
Wouldn't the grub screw only let it go on in one position?
Yep, just one spot.

So am I right in assuming, that this shaft that the rotor button sits on, can't be moved? And might have changed position in the firing sequence. Just trying to rule things out that I did, thats all.

M

madcabbie

You know how I sad I was almost 100% sure I had the leads on right.

Well I did..100% on back to front :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Where I thought lead one was ment to go to the cloest cylinder to the dizzy, that was infact 4....so they were all wrong. Realise when I put the old leads on, which were numbered...... :shock:

sorry folks, but I am happy I got it going...Now to take all the old leads, dizzy, rotor button and spark plugs out again, and put all the new ones back on..

Making sure I put the leads on CORRECTLY....... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

geetee

it's called learning fella :D

nothing wrong with that, everyone starts from nowhere. smug bustards need a slap.

but what's with the 34 error??

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

OZ-Racing

madcabbie said:
Where I thought lead one was ment to go to the cloest cylinder to the dizzy, that was infact 4....so they were all wrong. Realise when I put the old leads on, which were numbered...... :shock:
MUPPET, I would never do anything as stupid as that...................... or would I :?: :? :wink: :oops: :roll:

Glad you sorted it mate and didn't break the R in the process.

M

madcabbie

geetee said:
it's called learning fella :D

nothing wrong with that, everyone starts from nowhere. smug bustards need a slap.

but what's with the 34 error??

Cheers
GeeTee 8)
Not sure mate,
But I just did another fault check, and its all clear :p 55....

So all good...till i fark up something else..lol

And thanks OZ- Racing..I am glad too....

M

madcabbie

Put all the new Rotor button, dizzy cap and spark plugs back in, and this time, I didn't stuff up the leads :oops:

Fired up first go :wink:

Thanks guys

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
madcabbie said:
and put all the new ones back on..

I actually deleted that from my first reply cos when I thought about it, I couldn't see how they could be put on wrong :lol:

M

madcabbie

Fast Guy said:
madcabbie said:
and put all the new ones back on..

I actually deleted that from my first reply cos when I thought about it, I couldn't see how they could be put on wrong :lol:
Well with Nissan leads , they can't. They only reach with ease the correct sparkplugs. But with my aftermarket leads, they were longer, so even though I had them on the dizzy correctly, it was the block order wrong.... :oops: Lucky I kept my old leads I guess

Live and learn huh :wink:

ki_saj_ng

:lol: :lol: :lol:

now thats STUPID!

good u sorted it out and didnt take it to a tuner, would have said u need a rebuild :lol:

saj 8)