Wobbly at high speeds!!

M

memoli

Hi everyone, just a quick question, iv got a 350bhp gti-R, and as im going down the motorway at around 80 and i plant it the car feels very unstable and the front begins to wonder as if the weels are going to fall off lol (yes iv checked the weel nuts), does anyone know what it could be, iv checked for play in the ball joints and the steering wheel dont shake so tracking is ok. could it be torque steer? sometimes also at low speeds the car suddenly snatches to the left at 10mph or so.

Iv also notices that my cv gaitors are ripped, could that have anything to do with the problem?
I would appretiate any help as im stuck and dont want to end up loosing it on the motorway one day.

cheers guys!!

youngsyp

The steering wheel won't shake if the tracking/alignment is out. It'll shake if the wheels are out of balance.

As you have "ripped" CV gaitors, these will need replacing first. Whilst you're at it, you may as well replace the CV joints as, they're no doubt old and could have been damaged from lack of grease, caused by the ripped gaitors. Plus, the outer joints are only around £50 and that includes the boot.

Personally, I think your wheel alignment is out. Last time I changed my track rod ends, on the way to the alignment place after I fitted them, the car felt as though I was driving on ice. A very odd sensation but, it shows how important a decent wheel alignment set up is !

M

memoli

cheers mate...but the car is perfect through acceleration, its just when i get to higher speeds it feels weird. You reckon its still that?

chers.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
memoli said:
sometimes also at low speeds the car suddenly snatches to the left at 10mph or so.

Iv also notices that my cv gaitors are ripped, could that have anything to do with the problem?
I ran an old car with a split cv boot for too long and it started doing that, but not just at low speed. I'd say you've got a fecked CV joint. On that car the car tried going left and it was the passenger outer cv joint that had gone.

M

memoli

thanks mate! so do i need to buy a passenger side cv joint with gaitor or just buy one for the drivers side to just in case? is there anything else i should do or get whilst everythings off etc? also where can i get these parts from?

thanks for your help guys!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Inspect the CV joint when you take it off, mine fell to bits in my hand.

Pulsarboby will probably have 2nd hand cv joints if you want. Boot kits from Nissan are about £20.

Get yourself a tin of cv grease if you go 2nd hand.

Last edited:

youngsyp

If you want new parts, you can get them very cheap from here: www.japarts.co.uk

That's where I got my CV joint from recently and the boot kits are also considerably cheaper than Nissan prices.

As Fast Guy has said, you'll also need lithium grease, no matter if teh joint is old or new.

antgtir

When you remove the boot and cv joint id be tempted to check the shaft for play (both sides) in and out of the box.

Have you got adjustable top mounts?

You can get similar "light" unstable feelings if the camber is set to aggressive, just another alternative to look at but if the cv boots are torn id go for the cv joint first. You may have overheated the joint and bearings and so under high speeds (relatively) the bearings will not be running as they should, probably starting to disintegrate.

Good luck,

Ant.

M

memoli

youngsyp said:
If you want new parts, you can get them very cheap from here: www.japarts.co.uk

That's where I got my CV joint from recently and the boot kits are also considerably cheaper than Nissan prices.

Just wondering what the quality of thye cv joint and boot were like from japparts.co.uk, are they nissan quality? just dont want to buy something that will fall apart agen quickly!1

cheers!!

M

memoli

i dont know the exact speed...... but it does do at around them speeds!

MarkTurbo

Was there any lightning storms or anything like that about when it was getting wobbly at 88mph?

What i mean is what were the weather conditions like, were the roads dry or wet?

Keira

i think mark really wants to know if there were any flames left on the tarmac as it went wobbly at 88mph ?

Keira

bang on jonny5 :lol: for a newb you catch on quick :lol:

without a shadow of a doubt if memoli made friends with a mad professor and got him to steal some plutonium off of some terrorists there is no doubt in my mind that this problem would be solved

alternatively, rig up a high voltage cable off the town clock tower and wait for a lightening storm as mark suggested, this solution is harder to get 100% right but wont result in being shot at by some arabs in a vw camper van

look forward to you sorting it, and deleting this thread before any of us answered :lol:

neil240z

dude, after reading this, im sure the hover conversion and Mr Fusion will be installed!

for real, have the front wheels balanced, check tracking and bottom ball joints. CV joints should be ok but there will be a lot of grease in the front wheels, you can get a couple of stretchy CV boots for a fiver each and there easy to fit, come with grease too!

a tin of degreaser will help with the mess!

Neil